mtbr member

XT 771Rear Dérailleur, no adjuster, what gives?

Last week I trashed my XT 760 RD and my dérailleur hanger. I got the now parts (XT 771RD) yesterday and went to work on it today. I put on the new hanger and the RD and saw that I didn't have an adjuster. No problem, I thought, I'd take it off the old one. No way. I doesn't use one. What gives!? How do you fine tune your shifting with a new XT RD?

mtbr member
    The same way you do a SRAM?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    Last week I trashed my XT 760 RD and my dérailleur hanger. I got the now parts (XT 771RD) yesterday and went to work on it today. I put on the new hanger and the RD and saw that I didn't have an adjuster. No problem, I thought, I'd take it off the old one. No way. I doesn't use one. What gives!? How do you fine tune your shifting with a new XT RD?
    For better or worse Both Shimano and SRAM have stopped putting barrel adjusters on their mtb dérailleurs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    It's almost funny, in their blurb it says " thirty grams lighter than the previous model''. That's the weight of the adjuster. So seriously, what are you supposed to do; just put up with sloppy shifting. I'll tell you what I'm doing, I'm getting another 760 RD.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Fine tune the shifting with the adjuster coming off the shifter.
    Last edited by pelts79; 04-09-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    It's almost funny, in their blurb it says " thirty grams lighter than the previous model''. That's the weight of the adjuster. So seriously, what are you supposed to do; just put up with sloppy shifting. I'll tell you what I'm doing, I'm getting another 760 RD.
    The adjusters do not weigh that much.

As others have implied, use the adjuster on the flatbar shifter.

Since I use dropbars, I have to add an inline adjuster or use road RDs
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The reason i believe they have removed them is, they used to bend easy and rust. If you need to adjust your gears alot with the barrel adjusters your gears are either not set up right or worn out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I must admit that on my old Derailleur I used to like the barrel adjuster it was very easy to use. Since getting a shadow Derailleur and not having it I thought this is going to be a pain in the butt but soon got used to not worrying about it as I now use the barrel adjuster on the bars. However since changed over to Gore cable system for shifting I have found that once I set the limit screws I have never had to touch the barrel adjusters again. Is the Gore cables pre stretched or just don't stretch because I have no idea why I have had no need to touch the adjusters. Still I'm not complaining if it's been Gore's doing great or maybe I'm a better mechanic than I first thought I was.

mtbr member
    '' If you need to adjust your gears alot with the barrel adjusters your gears are either not set up right or worn out. ''

I don't remember saying that I have to adjust my cables a lot. I just want to set it and forget it. The adjuster on my shifter doesn't look as fine as I want . I just sent the XT771 dérailleur back and ordered a 760. The savings almost pays for the shipping and I have what I want. In the future, I guess I'll have to look at long cage Ulrtega RD's.

By the way, I've never had a RD adjuster rust out or bend. Maybe I'm just lucky.

More Torque
    A buddy of mine uses one of these in his XTR RD.
    Attached Images Attached Images

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott_MBR
    If you need to adjust your gears alot with the barrel adjusters your gears are either not set up right or worn out.
    You're kidding, right? You use the barrel adjusters to set up the gears correctly, then it might need a touch once and a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Shifter pods have adjuster barrels. Newer high end derailleurs don't have the any more to shave weight and to make the cable go in more direct.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    '' If you need to adjust your gears alot with the barrel adjusters your gears are either not set up right or worn out. ''

I don't remember saying that I have to adjust my cables a lot. I just want to set it and forget it. The adjuster on my shifter doesn't look as fine as I want . I just sent the XT771 dérailleur back and ordered a 760. The savings almost pays for the shipping and I have what I want. In the future, I guess I'll have to look at long cage Ulrtega RD's.

By the way, I've never had a RD adjuster rust out or bend. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    i've always found the barrel adjuster on the shifters (at least with gripshift shifters) to more fine tuned than the barrel adjuster on the derailleur itself.

mtbr member
    Barrel adjusters on derailleurs break. There is no way to avoid it, one good hit and they are done. Thankfully they are now gone on nicer units and now we just use the shifter ones to do the fine tuning.

mtbr member
    I never understood the reason for barrel adjusters on both ends of the cable. Just seems redundant