mtbr member
    Apr 2007

XT 750 or XT St 760 Brk/Shift lever?

I am planning to upgrade my brake / shift lever. I have a good experience with the XT 750 B/S lever on my other bike but jenson is selling the XT ST 760 for $73 as compared to the $89 for the 750. Any feedbacks would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The m760 for $73 are dual controls- you shift by moving the brake levers. The shifting mechanism inside is pretty much the same as the m750.

Some people hate them, some love them. I actually like dual control levers and found they work very well for me.
    I bike; therefore, I work

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for your reply VT. I guess its just a matter of preference . I love the rapid fire style of shifting and been use to it for quite sometime . Im thinking of buying the shift/brk lever next week and im leaning towards the 760. Any feedbacks would be much appreciated

dude with orange car
    I prefer non-integrated shift and brake levers. That way I can switch shifters or brakes/levers independently. If you got one of those and wanted to switch to hydraulic brakes you'd have to replace your shifters as well. I also switched my rear der/rear shifter to SRAM and was able to do so without needing to get new brake levers.

If you don't think you'll make any changes like that and find you're happy with the shift levers, go for it. Also bear in mind that while I know several people who really like the 760 shifting, I think there's a reason those are cheaper.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Que pasiones?
    i just bought the XT St 760 levers, and i just love them. can swich up and dwn with the brake lever and dwn with the shifter controll. in no time you get used to this sistem.
    sorry my english isnīt very good, do you speak spanish?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thank you guys for all your insights about my inquiree. ........... Plim , i understand and appreciate your concerns about future upgrades , in case i switch to hydraulics or magura rim brakes, but for now im quite happy with my ultimate V brakes so no spending budget for brakes soon.....Chapin..its good to know it is working great for you ........you all have a nice day.