mtbr member
    Feb 2010

XT 2009 v.s. XT 2010

I have to choose between 2 bikes.

First one:
    Full XT drivetrain but a XTR rear derailleur.
    Avid elixir brakes

Second one
    Full XT drivetrain
    XT brakes

Does the 2010 XT group is really different then the 2009?
    Does the XTR rear derailleur 2009 is really better than the XT 2010?
    Witch bike have the best equipment

Thanks

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Shimano doesn't change their component groups yearly. They don't really distinguish by model year, but rather part #s. Sometimes there are small changes, like the introduction of a wheelset or a new hub or single type of derailleur between major revisions, but that's about it. I would guess that both of the bikes are equipped with the 770 numerical designation XT parts, which were introduced in mid 2007 (IRCC) and started showing up on '08 model year bikes.

I can't say which have the best equipment. Personally I might give the edge to the XT brakes over the elixirs, and I don't think an XTR rear derailleur really gives you that much benefit standalone, other than looks (which I'm sure counts for at least something).

But there are lots of other components that matter just as much, like wheels, fork, tires, cockpit, saddle, seatpost...as well as the actual frame! And which has the better of these might depend on your preferences and riding conditions. Tires, for example, are very terrain and rider specific. Obviously they're an expendable item, but when most good tires are at least 25 bucks a piece, it's something to consider.

But since this is the drivetrain forum, I will reiterate that both bikes seem pretty equally equipped for all intents and purposes.

the catalan connection
    If I had to pick one I´d go for the full XT and XT brakes. Many manufacturers hang an XTR derailleur to catch costumers attention, but don´t keep the rest of the specs at the same level. You can get an XTR later on anyway, its an easy swap.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    same manufacturers for both bikes... Giant
    Anthem X1 2009 and Anthem X2 2010
    Same frame, and as M_S said, same drivetrain (almost)...
    So I now have to decide between: the brakes, the fork, the wheels and the bike shop.

thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Like a few others stated , wheels , fork ect ect . do those bikes fit you ? (not to small ,not to big) .. brakes and derailleurs even wheel sets are an easy upgrade .. My opinion is the Fork and Tires are a huge key esp the fork.. dont skimp on that, even if your just a weekend worrior ..

On those bikes your looking at what Fork's are on it ?
    Last edited by C.M.S; 02-15-2010 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S
    Like a few others stated , wheels , fork ect ect . do those bikes fit you ? (not to small ,not to big) .. brakes and derailleurs even wheel sets are an easy upgrade .. My opinion is the Fork and Tires are a huge key esp the fork.. dont skimp on that, even if your just a weekend worrior ..

Anthem X1 2009 = Rock Shox Sid team
    Anthem X2 2010 = Fox F100RL

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S

Tires are the cheapest thing you can upgrade on a bike and they wear out faster than anything else. I never check out tire specs when buying a bike...

Fork is a biggy!

I usually check bike specs in the following order to help me decide :
    Frame & shock
    Fork
    Wheels
    Brakes
    Drivetrain
    Controls
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    iii
    Last edited by cailloux; 02-16-2010 at 04:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Tires are the cheapest thing you can upgrade on a bike and they wear out faster than anything else. I never check out tire specs when buying a bike...

Fork is a biggy!

I usually check bike specs in the following order to help me decide :
    Frame & shock
    Fork
    Wheels
    Brakes
    Drivetrain
    Controls
    I agree with you for tires....

Salut à toi ô mon frère

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cailloux
    I agree with you for tires....

Salut à toi ô mon frère

Just get on one of those bikes of choice and make sure it fits your style of ride comfort .

Both RS and Fox are mighty fine forks..

yes i stated tires are important , but indeed expedable ..

as for the wheels Mavic has mighty fine plain janners out there that work just perfect . Shiffters make a huge difference also , cant beat a set of XT's ..

g3h6o3
    Oh don't get me wrong, they are the most important part of the bike but you can't count on manufacturers to spec tires for your local conditions and it's far from being expensive to replace so it shouldn't be considered (IMO) when buying a full bike...

cailloux : Salut le chummy!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Personally I would go with the 2010 since it has a Fox Fork, and Full XT components. Fox forks have a great resale value as do the XT components. I might be partial thought since I run a full xt drivetrain and fox forks on both my bikes. Really whatever bike feels the best to you.