aka 'Grover'

XPOST XTR pedal M980 axle snapped - axle assembly availability?

This is a XPOST from the Shimano forums. Please reply there to keep all information in the same place. XTR pedal M980 axle snapped - axle assembly availability?

My right PD-M980 XTR pedal axle snapped. Shimano Australia do not have stock so I can't order it through the LBS. My googling hasn't found any online shops that have it available and ebay doesn't help. Can anyone point me in the direction of a source to get one, online or other? The Shimano part number for the right axle assembly is Y46F98010.

mtbr member
    I would expect Shimano to replace the entire pedal. Seriously, it is their fault.

I had a similar issue with some Shimano shoes. The clip broke after only a few rides. The part was not in stock and wasn't expected for a month. My LBS pressured Shimano into replacing the shoes, which they did. If they can't get the part it shouldn't be your problem.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    This places seems to have both left and right axles, and about $A50 delivered to Australia.

Pedals : Slane Cycles, The World's Friendliest Bike Shop

If it's less than 3 years old, shouldn't Shimano replace the whole pedal under warranty?

Tim

Rub it............
    XTR Pedals have a 3 year warranty on them. Shimano should just replace the pedal(s). No parts required.

the catalan connection
    My riding buddy has just snapped his 980 pedal right axle too. Just where the threaded thin section begins ( the thinner outermost side). I was just wondring if there is something wrong with the new spindles. 970's are not compatible, that means they have changed the design and maybe they still have to sort out a couple of issues. Nothing surprising on newer series first batches btw. Anyone heard about it?
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot