Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,233

    XO or X9 with Indicators

    I want the old style Sram shifters with gear indicators. I can only find X7s. Can anyone find X9 or XOs?
    Here's what I'm talking about:
    Keep the Country country.

  2. #2
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    XO never came with indicators, I think maybe the first gen X9's might have but the '09 X7 (last year they came with indicators) would be those old X9's equal.

    FYI-all the Grip Shifters have indicators...just sayin'

  3. #3
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,233
    I'm also finding 2010 X5 for half the price of the '09 X7. Are they the same shifter or heavier, more prone to wearing out?
    Keep the Country country.

  4. #4
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,302
    man that would be sweet for the windows on x9's and X0's...but everyone is a weight weenie and they want to save a few grams

  5. #5
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    I'm also finding 2010 X5 for half the price of the '09 X7. Are they the same shifter or heavier, more prone to wearing out?
    Plastic vs Alloy lever...otherwise pretty much the same

  6. #6
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,833
    Dunno about you, but I have a hard time looking at my handle bars AND looking ahead on the trails at the same time.

  7. #7
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Dunno about you, but I have a hard time looking at my handle bars AND looking ahead on the trails at the same time.
    I have a harder time looking at my rings and cogs to see what gears I'm in. It's totally unsafe where I ride!

    It is lame SRAM doesn't have an indicator option for the higher end lever shifters.

  8. #8
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,218
    Who cares what gear you're in unless you're racing XC?

    If it's too hard to pedal, downshift. If it's too easy, upshift.
    Last edited by Berkley; 11-07-2010 at 08:53 PM.

  9. #9
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,833
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I have a harder time looking at my rings and cogs to see what gears I'm in. It's totally unsafe where I ride!

    It is lame SRAM doesn't have an indicator option for the higher end lever shifters.

    I don't even have to to that. I do what Berkley said. If its too hard, shift to an easier gear, if its too easy, shift to a harder gear.

  10. #10
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,233
    Then how do you know when you're getting too far down the cassette in the big ring or up the cassette in the small ring? Also, if you know that ahead you need to be in small ring/3rd gear but you don't know what gear you're in how do you know how many gears to shift? I always know what gear I'm in and all my MTBs have these style Sram triggers with indicators. On the road bike I can look down at the cassette but like you said, it's hard enough looking at the bars on an MTB.
    Keep the Country country.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Then how do you know when you're getting too far down the cassette in the big ring or up the cassette in the small ring? Also, if you know that ahead you need to be in small ring/3rd gear but you don't know what gear you're in how do you know how many gears to shift? I always know what gear I'm in and all my MTBs have these style Sram triggers with indicators. On the road bike I can look down at the cassette but like you said, it's hard enough looking at the bars on an MTB.
    same reason/explanation for all of those

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •