mtbr member
    Jun 2004

XO, X9 contemplation leading to insanity

Looking to upgrade a few components on my Racer-X 100 ti. I'm thinking XO or X9 rear derailleur and shifters. I have searched, read and contemplated myself into a wall. With XO, what am I getting for all that extra cash? Bearing vs bushing?

banned
    Sep 2005
    X.9 is basically X.0 with bushings instead of bearings, and composite instead of carbon fibre. There are also a few more plastic pieces in the X.9, but the difference is really negligible.

The shifting performance of the 07 X.9 is so close to X.0 that the X.0 is really only necessary if you're a component snob and want the longest lasting, highest price, best shifting stuff on the market.

mtbr member
    i'm going with x-9 on my bike, decision was pretty easy - think of it as having $280 hanging off the back of the bike waiting to hit a stump or get caught in branch. you can pick up x-9 for a lot cheaper and be slightly more happy about flyign down the trail without a care in the world. only slightly heavier aswell.

One Gear
    I had the same debate 2 weeks ago. Ended up with the x9 and love them. Moving up from rapid rise rear stuff makes a huge difference. I didn't have the budget after a new frame to jump into the x0's. If the x9 rear gets ruined, it's not the end of the world.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yep, I looked at both and I went X9 as well. It has not disspointed. The old X9 was just ok, but the new '07 X9 is so close to X0 that I just couldn't even come close to spending the extra cash.

Adobo Lover
    I ended up with X9 rear and XO shifters.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Go X.9

I have X.0 shifters and don't think they are worth the extra dough over X.9. I run a lowly X.7 rear derailleur. It works as well as both X.0 and X.9 and looks better than both in the stealth black Plus, it was $40.

Jaybo