PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009

XO vs XT complete group

Looking into a full 8pc complete XO or XT group. Does anyone have feedback on the new xt group and/or the xo group? Wondering how the new xt stuff compares.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    They are both nice setups and are preference between the two, but personally I would pick the xt just for the brakes that are worlds above any avid product.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, I have heard the new xt brakes are excellent bang for the buck when compared to xo or even xtr. I am also trying to consider the weight differences on the group as a whole. I need to do some research. Thx for the reply!

LightJunction.com
    Both kits are great. Really depends on what your personal preference is. I prefer the feel of Shimano, but sometimes the SRAM stuff can be had for cheaper, so I run both groups on my bikes. If you haven't ridden both, I'd recommend doing some test rides...maybe your LBS has bikes with those groups on them.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Been very pleased with the new XT group (running the 2x10); I've had it a few months and it's pretty much flawless.

Would have liked to go with the XTR for weight, but the bang for the buck all around made sticking with the XT a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    XT. It's a preference, but after owning 10spd XTR and 10spd X0 I'd take XTR hands down. The new XT is likely almost as good functionally as XTR.

nodejitsu
    XT rules

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    The more I look at the Xt group the more it just makes good sense. I don't believe the xt group is alot more heavier than xo. XTR is great stuff but twice as much as xt. I always felt that one step below the top tier is usually the best value, in this case xt. The xo group is roughly 3 to 4 hundred more than xt. I would not have considered xt in years past but have heard nothing but great points about the new group, especially the brakes.
    I think the new xt group with the new xtr rear derailleur with the clutch mechanism is the most sensible choice.
    Any more input from those who have had real time on both groups is welcome.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by PHS; 04-11-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: .

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    Looking into a full 8pc complete XO or XT group. Does anyone have feedback on the new xt group and/or the xo group? Wondering how the new xt stuff compares.

Cheers!
    If you have any "cross" bikes that may see action on fire roads, or light trail duty, you may want to go with SRAM. ALL of SRAMs 10 speed parts are compatible. Shimano's road and MTB 10 speed parts are currently incompatible due to different cable actuation ratios.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Smile

Hello to every one out there ! It's phanis from Greece !

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think that SRAM is slightly better due to more rapid shifts instead of shimano but shimano series is more solid

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have a full XT set up right now and it is outstanding. The only thing I'm considering is the XO 2x10 crankset because the option of a 22/36 and a 24/38 chainrings. Shimano's seem to be too tall for my liking at the moment. Other than that its going to stay XT! Oh yeah the breaks are awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Have a full XT set up right now and it is outstanding. The only thing I'm considering is the XO 2x10 crankset because the option of a 22/36 and a 24/38 chainrings. Shimano's seem to be too tall for my liking at the moment. Other than that its going to stay XT! Oh yeah the breaks are awesome.
    So right about the chain ring's The Shimano's are way to tall for us that actually climb Mtn's with our bikes.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    XO brakes are hit or miss. I had the new XTR sans brakes and it was very good. I have the new XT brakes and they are great. The XO gruppo, minus the brakes is a nice set up. I may swap out the XO brakes on my other bike to XT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    So right about the chain ring's The Shimano's are way to tall for us that actually climb Mtn's with our bikes.
    This for sure! I don't know what they are thinking. Do they want to compete with SRAM or let SRAM take their lunch on 2x10 cranksets? I mean really way too tall Shimano, bring em down like SRAM has done!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    X0, drive chain wise, is so much better. Any Shimano hydraulic brakes are going to be better then avids, but the best thing to do would be to get a SRAM shifting system (faster response, 1*1 shifting ratio, etc...) and then get Shimano brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by twin.no.b@gmail.com View Post
    X0, drive chain wise, is so much better. Any Shimano hydraulic brakes are going to be better then avids, but the best thing to do would be to get a SRAM shifting system (faster response, 1*1 shifting ratio, etc...) and then get Shimano brakes.
    Have to disagree with you here. Prior to 10 speed drivetrains this may have been true, but shimano also changed their cable pull on 10 speed. I have 10 speed X0 and 10 speed XTR. Recently I had an issue with my race bike (XTR equipped) and had to send the frame back. My backup bike has an X0 group in nearly new condition. In comparison the X0 drivetrain is novwhere near as precise and seems to need a lot more fiddling to get it right. I've raced on the XTR group for over 1.5 years and only had to adjust the rear derailleur once after about 9 months. In addition to needing more attention the X0 group is thumb/thumb shifting. There are times when being able to shift with your index finger is an advantage, especially when standing and needing to downshift the front, or upshift the rear. I've also seen far more warranty needs with SRAM parts vs shimano. I'll take the added durability and functionality of shimano any day over SRAM. SRAM seems to like to do the beta testing on customers, where shimano takes a little more time to market but with that comes more development and product testing.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'm running an X0 drivetrain with XTR M988 brakes, I'm not a fan of X0 brakes

edit:

In the year that I've owned an X0 drivetrain, I have had the return spring blow out on the rear derailleur. That was warrantied instantly, and I loved Sram for that. I could go on and on about my distaste for RS and Avid though. My main gaff with Avid brakes is their lever blades. I'd have to wager that half of my distaste in Avid is attributed to their anti-ergonomic lever blade technology. I think they're a little out of whack to be so behind on that. Besides that, Avid has potential-I just prefer Shimano for brakes. Shimano also makes a great drivetrain. My next drivetrain will probably be a Shimano one, just so I stay out of the elitist pot and give way to trying new tech from other companies as years go on. Both companies are full of promise.
    Last edited by ehigh; 06-23-2012 at 11:25 AM.

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    Have to disagree with you here. Prior to 10 speed drivetrains this may have been true, but shimano also changed their cable pull on 10 speed. I have 10 speed X0 and 10 speed XTR. Recently I had an issue with my race bike (XTR equipped) and had to send the frame back. My backup bike has an X0 group in nearly new condition. In comparison the X0 drivetrain is novwhere near as precise and seems to need a lot more fiddling to get it right. I've raced on the XTR group for over 1.5 years and only had to adjust the rear derailleur once after about 9 months. In addition to needing more attention the X0 group is thumb/thumb shifting. There are times when being able to shift with your index finger is an advantage, especially when standing and needing to downshift the front, or upshift the rear. I've also seen far more warranty needs with SRAM parts vs shimano. I'll take the added durability and functionality of shimano any day over SRAM. SRAM seems to like to do the beta testing on customers, where shimano takes a little more time to market but with that comes more development and product testing.
    I have to disagree .... I've been running the new X9 10spd since it came out and never had a problem and i think i only adjusted the derailler once to account for new cable stretch. Don't hear any more warranty claims from either one too.

The shifters are a matter of taste, i rather prefer the SRAM shifting but mileage may vary and don't find any system more precise than the other ( my bro has a XT group ) although i find the SRAM shifting quicker while the Shimano shifts more "smoothly".

One who says that one is much better than the other is pulling stuff of their rear.

On the crankset side i prefer Shimano, i usually get a better bang for the buck with them but since we're talking about the top end of the line that advantage gets a bit dilluted but if i had to choose i would go for the X0 cranks with Shimano cassete and chains. Mostly for looks though as i find that the Shimano BB lasts longer and i believe is lighter.

For brakes i wouldn't personally go with either, as i'm a fan of Magura brakes, but between the two i would say Shimano for sure, Avid brakes are pretty poor.

mtbr member

Clutch Mechanism?

Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    I think the new xt group with the new xtr rear derailleur with the clutch mechanism is the most sensible choice.
    What's this clutch mechanism. Can I get this explained to me

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Grande View Post
    What's this clutch mechanism. Can I get this explained to me
    I pulled this up on google pretty quickly. here you go

Tested: Shimano's XTR Shadow Plus Derailleur | Bicycling Magazine