I <3 29ers

XO twisters - replacing cable pita

Okay, i'm not new here. I know how to replace cables on shifters, but for some strange reason last night I went through 4 inner cables and each time I tried to thread one through one of the strands would get buggered up, then the cable was ruined. I tried new and used cables and on both shifters - no luck. WTF?!?!??!

I loved these shifters, but am not willing to give SRAM a second look if I can't get new cables in them.

Advice on a successful cable swap please?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

LA CHÈVRE
    Never had a problem, you are not a surgeon I hope?

You might also try this (a trick I did to replace housing that was routed inside a frame): take the old cable, insert it freshly cut end first, in the shifter but from the barrel adjuster side so it gets out from where you'll insert the new cable. Tape the end of the new cable to the end of the old one, both end against each other (not over one another). Then carefully pull the old cable back out while gently feeding the new one in...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Never had a problem, you are not a surgeon I hope?

You might also try this (a trick I did to replace housing that was routed inside a frame): take the old cable, insert it freshly cut end first, in the shifter but from the barrel adjuster side so it gets out from where you'll insert the new cable. Tape the end of the new cable to the end of the old one, both end against each other (not over one another). Then carefully pull the old cable back out while gently feeding the new one in...
    Ah yes, used that trick with stereo installs. Didn't think it would work with these thin cables, but i'll give it a try. Thanks!

Thankfully not a surgeon.

... and cookies.

~Disc~Golf~
    twisting in the correct direction while pushing works for me every time
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

Dirt Deviant
    Always twist cables clockwise.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I always find old cables are dodgey, new cables (with the soldered end) are ok. I just wiggle them a bit as they get to the sharp bend part. If you've not put them through the right hole initially nothing you will do will work.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

I <3 29ers
    I've tried twisting, with new and old cables, but nothing works. I even took each of those cables and cut them down a bit, so as to use a fresh cut new en, with no avail. I have a feeling something inside is buggered up. I'm going to take them apart and see wtf is going on. There's NO way this should be happening like this, every time, no matter what I do.

What, I gotta stand on my head, rubbing my tummy with one hand and making bacon and eggs with the other to get this thing in right?

Interesting point about the soldered cable end, though, AlexRandall. I have not seen inner cables like that. Depending on what I find I might have to give that a try.

Thanks everyone!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    The Holy grail of making this process easier is to remove the adjusting barrel. The triggers are a pain too, until you remove the barrel. Twisting is important too.

Ttyl, Fahn

I <3 29ers
    Okay, I got it figured out. I took one of the shifters apart. There's a PLASTIC guide that the cable rides against as you insert it. This plastic guide is all chewed to rat ****, so every time I try to feed a new cable through there one of the individual strands get's caught and it bugger's up the whole thing. With the whole unit disassembled I can clean it up, smooth it out and it should all be good. I'll take the liberty of re-installing a new cable with it all taken apart so it doesn't happen again.

While I am disappointed that this piece is plastic (nasty 7-letter p-word in cycling as far as i'm concerned), I realize SRAM did so to make this part inexpensive and light. I am at least thankful that servicing this is as easy as it is.

... and cookies.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    ...(nasty 7-letter p-word in cycling as far as i'm concerned)...
    Pancake? there's nothing wrong with pancakes drew
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Pancake? there's nothing wrong with pancakes drew
    Yeah, well, if the bunny ain't there it's just not gonna taste right.

I'll get some pics of that little piece of pancak.....plastic up in a bit.

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I always use an old piece of cable, tape the new to it nice and cleanly, then stuff away