mtbr member
    Jul 2011

XO Twister shifter

I've searched and searched and still couldn't find an answer to a concern I have about the Sram Twister shifter. Does anyone running these shifters ever have accidental mis-shifts while riding aggressively downhill? My only concern about going to these shifters are the shorten length of the grip and if it ever feels like there's not enough grip. Other than that I've heard nothing but good things about this setup.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I've searched and searched and still couldn't find an answer to a concern I have about the Sram Twister shifter. Does anyone running these shifters ever have accidental mis-shifts while riding aggressively downhill? My only concern about going to these shifters are the shorten length of the grip and if it ever feels like there's not enough grip. Other than that I've heard nothing but good things about this setup.
    You may experience accidental shifts when first using them, but once you learn the grip technique for them you will not. I ran them for years and never had issues, even doing so jumps and drops with them. Still waiting for those 10 speed ones to come out

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    You may experience accidental shifts when first using them, but once you learn the grip technique for them you will not. I ran them for years and never had issues, even doing so jumps and drops with them. Still waiting for those 10 speed ones to come out
    Great to hear because I ordered them the other day...LOL. I figured it seemed like a good idea and they got exceptional reviews. Couldn't really go wrong for $70. What grips are you running with your setup? Are the stock grips sufficient or would your recommend something else. I'll need to do some searching to see if i could find some pictures with these twisters installed.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    Great to hear because I ordered them the other day...LOL. I figured it seemed like a good idea and they got exceptional reviews. Couldn't really go wrong for $70. What grips are you running with your setup? Are the stock grips sufficient or would your recommend something else. I'll need to do some searching to see if i could find some pictures with these twisters installed.
    Currently running triggers and my new ride is 10 speed, but here is a picture of my last ride with X.7 grip shifts. The grips are Ritchey TGV 96mm that I trimmed down to about 80mm.

Most grip shift grips are too long IMO, I like the grips set up so my index finger is always on the shifter. Most come at around 95mm and I would trim them down to 80mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There shouldn't be a problem

Dual Squishy...
    I've run grip shifts since the early/mid 90s X-Rays (still have them), up until the 2008 X0s. Love them, but recently switched because 10 speed versions weren't available on my 2011 Epic, and converted the Enduro to trigger 9 speed for consistency. Oh well...

I'd say go with them. They rock and ghost shifts are folklore at best...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My favorite grips with the twist shifters are ESI Chunky grips, cut down. For lock-on grips I like the shorter version of the ODI Rogue grips.

The first photo shows my 1x9 setup with an X0 twist shifter and ESI Chunky grips. The one with the twist shifter has been cut down, but not as short as the shorty lock-on grips are. The new XT brake levers end up in the perfect position for 1-finger braking.

I have also cut down the twist shifters themselves in the past, as you can see in the photo of the GripShift on my old bike. The grip is an ODI Ruffian, but I personally prefer the Rogue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XO Twister shifter-niner%2520build%2520final%2520004.jpg  

XO Twister shifter-paul%2527s.jpg