not really an mtbr member
    I personally run 3/4 grips. I know a lot of guys that run the X0 grippies run foam grips just because they're usually weight conscious (I do too.) X0 grip shifters are great- I don't think I could go back to triggers now. And I'm running the X0 gripshifters/X9 RD combo and I think it's a good combination- the replacement cost of the X9 is a lot lower and the penalty is small.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

xo twister set-up for grips

Just curious what people are running for their grips... full grips and then moving the hand inboard for shifting - OR - 3/4 grips and keeping the hands on the the shifter while riding?

Is there a compound or grip style that works better??

I have not switched, yet, but am seriously considering it. I like the full gear dumping, cleaner set-up, less $, lighter and lack of levers to break on the twister - but it's kinda hard to make that leap of faith

Advantages/disadvantages for either full grip or 3/4 grip set-up?

My RD will probably be xo, but maybe x9.

My riding is XC and some commuting.
    Thanks

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    full grip would put your brake levers WAY in there...

i'm runing old 7.0 ESP shifters with 9.0ESP RD and have ODI rouge lock on grips... it's a very nice way to roll with the GS and bar ends my hand feels nice and locked into place (which I like personaly)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I tried a ton of grips out on my XO's before finding these Yeti 3/4 hardcore lockon's. I went 3/4 because otherwise my brakes were too far inside. I like the Yeti's because they don't move on me, and the height of them compared to the XO makes for easy shifting.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ore+Twist.aspx
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    when running 3/4 grips (that seems more intunitive to me as the better set-up) do you guys tyipcally keep the inner hand (thumb and index) "slightlyloose" in order to prevent any mis-shifts and then just tighten and twist to change gears? Or, maybe you keep index and middle on the brake levers and move the index off to shift?

Sorry, just trying to get a mental picture so I can do some testing and see how it might feel.

Thanks a ton on the suggestions so far!!!

And I LOVE my full size Yeti's I have now - SO COOL that they make a 3/4....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    I tried a ton of grips out on my XO's before finding these Yeti 3/4 hardcore lockon's. I went 3/4 because otherwise my brakes were too far inside. I like the Yeti's because they don't move on me, and the height of them compared to the XO makes for easy shifting.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ore+Twist.aspx
    +1 on these! I had the Yeti grips before lock-on's, had the full lock-on's before I got grip shift, and now have the 3/4 with the grippies. So cushie!

I always have my hands in-board on the shifters and never have mis-shifts. I don't know what I am doing different than everyone that is having mis-shifts.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fish2live
    Just curious what people are running for their grips... full grips and then moving the hand inboard for shifting - OR - 3/4 grips and keeping the hands on the the shifter while riding?

Is there a compound or grip style that works better??

I have not switched, yet, but am seriously considering it. I like the full gear dumping, cleaner set-up, less $, lighter and lack of levers to break on the twister - but it's kinda hard to make that leap of faith

Advantages/disadvantages for either full grip or 3/4 grip set-up?

My RD will probably be xo, but maybe x9.

My riding is XC and some commuting.
    Thanks
    Don't bother with the x0, there is no perceivable difference. I broke the cage on my x0 and replaced it with an x9. Can't tell the difference AT ALL.
    Last edited by ryball; 04-02-2009 at 09:45 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I cut my grips down to 3". I have my thumb and index finger on the shifter always (when not braking). I've never actually miss-shifted, just accidently trimmed one click. And only when pulling hard on the bars like to bunny hop. When that happens you click back instinctively immediately so it really has no effect. Hope that makes sense.