5 x 5

XO rear derailleur tension screw

Owing to a strange mechanical failure, I snapped the tension screw on my XO rear derailleur. After inquiring at four bike shops and being told at each "I don't know, man, you can check with SRAM..." on a whim I checked the hardware store.

Voila! A metric M4 bolt 25mm in length solved the prob. A 20mm would also work. The bolt head takes a 4mm hex wench (not the 3mm of the SRAM part), and the bolt head just *barely* clears the cutout on the derailleur... but it does work, no prob.

Note - with a long enough bolt, the bolt-head clearance issue makes no diff.

Mine's a 2006 XO. Don't know if anything's changed since then.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There are also a few places that sell the X.9 and X.0 derailleur bags with all the screws and stuff. The X.9 is $7 fo rall teh screws but with no plastic limit screw holders.

The X.0 is in the $30 range with everything to replace all teh screws and plastic holders for your derailleur.

Thanks for the sizes though, it is nice to just have a size so you can get what you need by just going to the hardware store. Appreciate it.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

mtbr member
    You might want to lube up the new screw with some anti-seize lubricant. Just thinking that's something that gets wet frequently so corrosion may be a problem. I replaced the rear derailleur hanger screws on my bike with some from a hardware store after they fell out. Now they're pretty much seized up. I'm guessing my hardware store screws were more prone to corrosion.