mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here. XO Derailleur question

I am waiting to see what SRAM will do with their front dd offering. If they release it this year I will probably switch my entire drivetrain to SRAM. My question is what is the difference in performance between the long and medium cage XO rear dd? Is there a cog size limitation for either? Right now I'm using XTR 952 fr and rr dd's with SRAM rocket shifters, cassette and PC 89 chain. It works well but I'm annoyed with needing to adjust my rear derailleur after every ride. Plus I think the 1:1 ratio seems to make more sense. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by floydg68
    I am waiting to see what SRAM will do with their front dd offering. If they release it this year I will probably switch my entire drivetrain to SRAM. My question is what is the difference in performance between the long and medium cage XO rear dd? Is there a cog size limitation for either? Right now I'm using XTR 952 fr and rr dd's with SRAM rocket shifters, cassette and PC 89 chain. It works well but I'm annoyed with needing to adjust my rear derailleur after every ride. Plus I think the 1:1 ratio seems to make more sense. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    For years, I was a Shimano XTR-guy (8-speed). Then, for the last 4-yrs, I've been a singlespeeder and ran Shimano-free. Now, having recently built-up a geared-bike for the TransRockies, I went with full SRAM X.0 (with the exception of the XTR FD).

I'm using a FSA Carbon Pro Team cranks (44/32/22) with SRAM PG-990 cassette (11-32), X.0 rear derailleur (med cage), X.0 twisters and PC-99 chain. I really put the drivetrain through it's paces last week during the TransRockies and it was nearly flawless despite the massive amounts of mud, river crossings, etc. Yes, there were some minor issues with chain-suck and the odd chain-skip, but considering the conditions, it held-up amazingly well....a really nice set-up. My only complaint with the twisters came when things got so muddy and wet that I had a very hard time actually twisting the shifters since my gloves were so saturated with mud/water that they just slipped.

The only concern with the medium cage versus the long cage is the amount of chain-slack when in the granny and in the smaller cogs...but, you shouldn't be using these gears anyway. The long cage will be able to handle the chain-slack better in the lower gears than the med cage.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

www.justthebonnet.com
    The you will most likely need a long cage if you are running three chainrings up front. And don't worry about adjusting the rear derailleur, once you set up the SRAM X.O it doesn't need to be constantly tweeked like the shitmano xtr does.
    Go Sram and go trouble free.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

3 chainrings does not mean long cage.

What matters is chain wrap capacity and how worried you are about dropping your chain. If you run one of those huge 12-34 cassettes and a triple up front, you may be asking for trouble with a medium cage, but only if you cross your chain in the low gears.