www.derbyrims.com

New question here. XO crank creak from removable spider-to-arm... fix?

Has anyone found a permanent fix for this creak?

I finally isolated the increasingly loud creaking to my 6 month old XO crank's drive side removable ring-spider interface to the arm.

I removed the cranks, removed the 3 small bolts holding the ring-spider arms onto the crank arm, and thoroughly cleaned the notched interface of the spider and crank arm (and cleaned the whole crank-set and repacked the near dry drive side GXP BB bearing).

Reassembled so there was no drive direction slop in the notches of the spider-to-arm interface, torqued the 3 little torx head spider-to-arm interface bolts to 5 Nm, and rode.

It was nice and quiet at first (yeah, finally identified!). But gradually over a few miles of climbing with minimal dust the creaking returned. Not yet as bad as before cleaning, but getting worse.

I don't think it is dust or dirt related creak, just a slightly flexible interface design having only 3 small bolts to secure.

I guess slapping grease around the interface notches may keep it quiet longer, but may require frequent regular cleaning as the grease dries.

Any suggestion for a permanent fix?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have no experience with a removal spider SRAM crank but have found that greasing the splines of any splined interface keeps the creaks at bay for a good long while (also makes for easier installation/removal). This was a trick with old ISIS/Octalink cranks and I do it with 2 piece external cranks as well these days.

Use a heavy weight marine grease and you should be good to go for a year or so hopefully. Was going to suggest some other possibilities but sounds like you've already troubleshot the regular creaks from around that area of the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Did you ever get it to quiet down? Is 5Nm the spec torque for those three bolts?

Workin for the weekend!
    How would grease "dry"? Provided it's not water soluble, and you're not,washing it with solvents, the grease shouldn't ever dry.