mtbr member

X9 vs. X7 GXP DBL 10 Spd Crankset

Is there any reason to go with the X9 over the X7? Looks like 9 grams difference?

mtbr member
    I'm looking at SRAM crank set for next build, a 2 X10 hard tail. I have upgraded from X7 to X9 on another 2 X10 (full susp) and did not notice much diff besides price. This was with RD and shifters not cranks. There are some great deals on eBay and the price diff is not as big between X7 and X9 cranks as it is between derailleurs and shifters.

The X9 cranks look cooler to me.

My dilemma is to get the X9 2X10 or get the 3x10 and take the big ring off and run a bash.

As far as I know there are no aftermarket bash for the SRAM 2 bys.

Another thing I noticed while surfing eBay, the X9 come with bigger ring 42 in the 2X10 while the X7 comes with 39 in most of the listings

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    I'm looking at SRAM crank set for next build, a 2 X10 hard tail. I have upgraded from X7 to X9 on another 2 X10 (full susp) and did not notice much diff besides price. This was with RD and shifters not cranks. There are some great deals on eBay and the price diff is not as big between X7 and X9 cranks as it is between derailleurs and shifters.

The X9 cranks look cooler to me.

My dilemma is to get the X9 2X10 or get the 3x10 and take the big ring off and run a bash.

As far as I know there are no aftermarket bash for the SRAM 2 bys.

Another thing I noticed while surfing eBay, the X9 come with bigger ring 42 in the 2X10 while the X7 comes with 39 in most of the listings
    That's just because the ones being sold on ebay are the 42 primarily. This has no meaningful difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not to Hijack this thread, but could we include X5 in the conversation?
    I would like to get back into mountain biking (i guess I already have, but have been borrowing a friend's spare bike) and I am thinking 2x is the way to go.
    Seems like Sram X5 is the msot economical way to do this, are there large drawbacks from other 2 rings systems>?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    The X-5 is a possibility for me too. The weight on all three is nearly identical. I would like to know if all are equally stiff. The arms on the x-7 and x-9 look the same in the pictures I've seen but the x-5 look different. I also wonder about the chain rings. I think I'm going to order the x-7.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think the X9 spider is separate where the X7 is atatched the arms. Can make a difference if wanting to change spiders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by therollex View Post
    I think the X9 spider is separate where the X7 is atatched the arms. Can make a difference if wanting to change spiders.
    Incorrect. I have the x7/s1400 crankset and running the x7 spiderless

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ok thanks for clarifying. I wonder what the diff is then?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So if I take the X7 triple and drop the big ring and granny I should be able to run a bash guard on the middle 32T ring on it and be just fine right?

mtbr member
    I'd like to revive this thread. I'm working on another new build, have gone Shimano in the past but running full SRAM this time. (yes i made a mistake on the brakes and went Elixer.....I'll change them out later and use Shimano). I need to order my cranks, but looking through x5, x7 and x9 I can't decide. Does anyone have any info on what the difference is on these cranks? I've gone X9 on everything else. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    I just bought X9 26/39 cranks because I got 'em very cheap on Ebay. The current gen Truvativ X9 and SRAM X7/S1400 is available only with XC gearing, 26/39 or 28/42. I'm running it no problem on a 26" bike but it might be a bit much on a 29er. (At least for me.)

The regular X7 2x10 has two trail/AM gearsets available as well as the XC gearing mentioned above.

They're all hollow forged 7075 aluminum and weigh nearly the same. The graphics vary but that's the only difference. I would have bought X7 had I not found a deal on X9.

The X5 2x10 has both the trail and XC chainring options, but it is heavier and uses 6061 aluminum.

*All* of them, in current models, have the X-Glide ramp & pin design.

mtbr member
    That is exactly the response I needed. Thank you. I already planned on 26/39. Seams to work good for me. Based on your response I don't believe X5 will be the choice I make. I'll keep looking for a deal on X9, but if I run across an X7 deal I'm no longer afraid to jump at it. Again thank you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm going to seriously look at m675 slx for my next build. Just being released.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Couple of other things to consider, guys.

I'm going all X5 on my new build, but I couldn't find anything lower than a SRAM 2x10 26/39. Had to go X7 for a 24/38 instead. X7 also comes in 22/36 for the grannies amongst us (myself included)!

Clearance might also be an issue for you as it is on my EMD. I can't go higher than a 39t for SRAm and a 42 for Shimano I think, so the smaller my largest cog is, the better.

mtbr member
    FWIW: I'm not typically sensitive to subleties in stiffness, but I believe there's a marked difference between the stiffness of an X9 arm vs X7. I mostly noticed on the grinding climbs.

To resolve this, I bought both an X9 39/26 120/80 BCD and an X7 S1400 38/25 with 104/64 BCD. The spiders are interchangeable, so I pulled the spider off the X7 and slapped it onto the X9 crankarm in order to create the smaller BCD. At first I did this to gain the flexibility to run a smaller granny. However, it has also facilitated a move to a 1x10 setup. While I'm opting to go to the Wolf Tooth GXP direct mount, having the smaller BCD did open options with other single-ring mfctrs like Blackspire, Homebrew, and North Shore Billet.

mtbr member
    Hmm, that's interesting. Do you happen to have a gram scale, and if so have you weighed the crank arms and spindles for each? Perhaps X9 and X7 right now aren't quite identical, if there have been any changes since I installed mine a year ago.

Also, do you have a hardtail or full suspension bike?

mtbr member
    Ah, I wish I had a gram scale. Wife knows I'd be a mess with one. By hand, though, I couldn't really feel a weight difference.

I'm on a full susp, Intense Spider 29

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Don't forget the Truvativ AKA crankset. They are sold for very cheap at Merlin Cycles ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmarg View Post
    Ah, I wish I had a gram scale. Wife knows I'd be a mess with one. By hand, though, I couldn't really feel a weight difference.

I'm on a full susp, Intense Spider 29
    LOL about the wife. I hear ya.

Regarding perceived flex in the crank arms, how can you be certain what you are feeling is from there rather than the spindle and bottom bracket, or even more likely, the suspension moving?

I ask this because I cannot discern that on my FS bike. The bike moves when I pedal it, even with the shock set as stiff as it will go, at least to some small extent. To me this masks any flex the cranks might have. Especially when we're talking about 2 crank arms that have the same claimed weight, material and construction. (Forged 7075 AL)