mtbr member
    May 2007

X9 vs X0 Type 2 rear derailleur?

I'm upgrading the rear derailleur on my bike to the new sram type 2. A buddy just got one and it's a revelation. I'm currently running an X0 RD with XX shifters. Will I noticed any difference with an X9 rear derailleur? Other than 15 grams and different jockey wheels is there any difference in performance or durability? Is X0 worth the 2.5x price?

mtbr member
    I just bought a mid-cage X9 type 2, and I don't think it's anywhere near worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    why not?

mtbr member
    Sorry that was an unclear reply! "It" was intended to refer to paying for X0.

I agree there are minimal differences between X0 and X9 in several components. RD is one of them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Sorry that was an unclear reply! "It" was intended to refer to paying for X0.

I agree there are minimal differences between X0 and X9 in several components. RD is one of them.
    ah yes, that makes more sense.

mtbr member
    they will both feel the same its just one is lighter and has better parts and will last longer

tkj
    local genius
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gaintanthemx29 View Post
    they will both feel the same its just one is lighter and has better parts and will last longer
    I disagree. Yes XO is lighter, because it is built with lighter parts, not better parts. X9 group is known to be just as durable and last just as long as XO.

I do have the X9 type 2 (short) and I love it so far.

Metal
    I am under the impression that the X9 pivot points of the parallelogram are riveted and cannot be taken apart, and the X0 is somehow fastened, allowing it to be disassembled. I also just read that the X0 has an additional mounting hole for the spring, which can be used to increase spring tension later in the life of the derailleur.
    Straight is better than flat.

Tool
    I have a bike each with XO and X9. I can't tell of much, if any, difference in their performance.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AchrisK View Post
    I am under the impression that the X9 pivot points of the parallelogram are riveted and cannot be taken apart, and the X0 is somehow fastened, allowing it to be disassembled. I also just read that the X0 has an additional mounting hole for the spring, which can be used to increase spring tension later in the life of the derailleur.
    I've never worn out a derailleur to where such a disassembly would be beneficial. They either work, or they get smashed on something.

However, even if it were serviceable, I would probably just replace it entirely... because I'd be riding sooner, and I don't buy super-expensive RDs.