mtbr member
    Oct 2007

X9 shifter rebuild question...

So... My first time doing a cable change on a 2007 X.9 shifter... I wasnt thinking and assumed the two little phillips screws on the shifter need to be removed as well for the cover to pop off.. Anyway, long story short, the main metal bottom piece popped of and the thing is a nightmare. Not sure which parts go where to put the metal cover back on corrcetly..

There is a silver washer, a rubber gasket type thing, and the circular spring/wire which puts tension on the bottom lever (the metal one).

Does anyone know which way these go back in or have a schematic with the order they should be? No matter what combo I try, it does not seem to be correct. Does it go washer->spring->gasket? I'm lost and dont want to spin $30 for a bike shop to do it when the shifter only costs $50. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The exact same thing happened to me with an X-7. If your using two shifters, you might taking the cover off the other one and looking inside. As long as you do it gently, nothing will pop out and you'll get an idea of what your looking to replicate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtboyracer
    The exact same thing happened to me with an X-7. If your using two shifters, you might taking the cover off the other one and looking inside. As long as you do it gently, nothing will pop out and you'll get an idea of what your looking to replicate.
    I thought about doing that.. Then had second thoughts... Im going to give it another shot tonight and if no go then bring to the shop tomorrow.

Texan
    Funny. Im staring at mine right now wondering how to change the cable out. The guy at my LBS said to dig that stupid plastic screw out. Mine dont have that access screw. Do I have to tear the shifter apart?

????http://www.sicklines.com/tech/howto/...er-rebuild/???
    Last edited by Gary H; 10-30-2007 at 09:49 PM.

-> SickLines.com <-
    The newer X.9 / X.0 Shifters you have to wind the top plastic screw off the shifter and the top cap will come off. Then you'll see the cable.

If you've got the older X.9 shifter, or X.7 you'll have to remove the screws.

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    The newer X.9 / X.0 Shifters you have to wind the top screw off the shifter case. Then you'll see the cable.

If you've got the older X.9 shifter, or X.7 you'll have to remove the screws.
    Oh, that big star looking thing with "Impulse" written on it. Thanks!

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H
    Oh, that big star looking thing with "Impulse" written on it. Thanks!
    Yep! I'd recommend taking the shifter off the bar to make it easier as SRAM has a rats nest you have to go through to change the cable. Make sure your shifter is in its lowest gear (smallest cog). It's best to work in a clean open area and open the case slowly.

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Yep! I'd recommend taking the shifter off the bar to make it easier as SRAM has a rats nest you have to go through to change the cable. Make sure your shifter is in its lowest gear (smallest cog). It's best to work in a clean open area and open the case slowly.
    I'm changing out my frame, so I have the everything off the bike and ready to deal with it one componant at a time. On the bench! I'm smart enough to realize I'm stupid. Before just hacking away at something I dont know anything about and making things worse, Ill ask someone that knows what their doing. lol Too bad Sram cant hire a technical writer so I can understand how to work on their products. I have the instructions right in front of me and they are of no help.

Tomarrow, I tackle the XT Hollowtech2 BB. Hope your around!

Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Dont ask me how...

But I got it back together and its shifting perfect again. Man... If you are changing cables, DO NOT remove those 2 phillips screws underneath by the aluminum lever. Only unscrew that top cap and remove the black cover. Do everything in your power to keep the almuninum portion in place when you are messing with it.

FYI, SRAM's tech docs are horrible.

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by kramerica
    But I got it back together and its shifting perfect again. Man... If you are changing cables, DO NOT remove those 2 phillips screws underneath by the aluminum lever. Only unscrew that top cap and remove the black cover. Do everything in your power to keep the almuninum portion in place when you are messing with it.

FYI, SRAM's tech docs are horrible.
    I think you guys just made my day alot easier. I could only imagine that thing going "BOING" with parts flying everywhere.

Changed my cables in less than 10 minutes.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H
    I think you guys just made my day alot easier. I could only imagine that thing going "BOING" with parts flying everywhere.

Changed my cables in less than 10 minutes.

Yep, imagine how much money you just saved. Removing old cable/housing, threading new cable/housing, adjusting derailluers = $?$?$? It ain't rocket science, and knowing how to adjust yer stuff save you a lot'a grief on th' trail and $$$ = priceless. AND you can pass this knowledge on to yer kids & ridin' buds, SWEET.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Yep, imagine how much money you just saved. Removing old cable/housing, threading new cable/housing, adjusting derailluers = $?$?$? It ain't rocket science, and knowing how to adjust yer stuff save you a lot'a grief on th' trail and $$$ = priceless. AND you can pass this knowledge on to yer kids & ridin' buds, SWEET.

Thats part of the fun! Learing and helping others!