Captains Log

X9 shifter cable replacement

My shifter cable housing split open near the rear deraileur, so I just checked the SRAM sight for cabe replacement instructions and the X9 shifters they show on their instructions look nothing like the X9 shifters on my bike.(but only their X9 shifters in the instructions section. all other X9s on their sight look like mine i noticed) More importantly, the screw they show in the picture and tell you to remove does not exist on my shifter. Any idea where i can find the proper instructions for shifter cable replacement.
    I can probably get away with just changing my housing. I will have to cut off the metal end piece that is crimped on, so if I buy just a new housing will it come with the metal end piece or do i have to order that separately.
    Any suggestions or advise would be nice, i dont wanna screw up my shifter.
    what do you find in a star trek bathroom?

tjc
    Weekend Rider
    Aug 2006
    You probably have the 2006 version (with the window), SRAM website has older manuals.

http://www.sram.com/en/service/sram/...nuals_2006.php

If you are talking about the cable end-cap, you might be able to use a pair of pliers to squeeze round and keep it open enough to re-use - depending on how it was crimped. Otherwise, any LBS if asked will give you a free one when you buy your new outer housing (cable end-cap will not be included unless you buy housing and cable kit). The housing end-cap will be included, but they are not usually crimped in place.

If the cable is frayed, I would replace that when you swap the housing - it helps to have a really good set of cable/housing cutters - again, if you take the split section to the LBS, you may even be able to get them to cut it to the right length for you. Also make sure you get shifter housing not brake cable housing.

mtbr member
    Take it to your LBS. Last time I got charged $20 total for cable, housing and install. It takes them like 5 minutes to do. They have rolls of housing that they can cut to exact length.