mtbr member
    Apr 2011

x9 rear derauiller ?

Is there any significant difference in the 2009 vs 2010 vs 2011 model of the x-9 derauiller? They all have the 1:1 ratio, which I assume means they are zero loss derauillers.

There are apparently new ones still available of all three year models. If the '11 model does not have any significant improvements, the others are much cheaper and I need one for the Heckler I am putting together.

Wayne

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    All Sram 1:1 derailleurs are plug compatible, meaning any can be used with any 1:1 shifter. The only functional differences are cage width and length.

Model to model, year to year, the differences are materials, weight and cosmetics. I've always found the best dollar values in top line stuff to be in leftover prior year's models, or the B-level on the current year. In your shoes, I'd save the dough with the older stuff.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go new old stock, as they say in the "industry". Save some coin.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That's what I wanted to hear! I just thought I better find out if the new model had some feature that I could not live without. Since that's not likely the case, I am going for the cheaper version.

Wayne

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Meuir View Post
    That's what I wanted to hear! I just thought I better find out if the new model had some feature that I could not live without. Since that's not likely the case, I am going for the cheaper version.

Wayne
    Fine as long as you are using 9-sp
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That's what I wanted to hear! I just thought I better find out if the new model had some feature that I could not live without.
    The new ones definitely have one feature the old ones don't. They let folks know that you have both the dough and temperament to always have the latest and greatest.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yep, using a 9-speed. Right now I am considering going to a 1X9 since I never use either of the outer rings anyway. I am using 2011 X7 shifters which have the zero loss feature, so they should be fine. I don't ride well enough to need the latest equipment-- I really wish i did, but, at my age, it ain't gonna happen.

Wayne

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yep, using a 9-speed. Right now I am considering going to a 1X9 since I never use either of the outer rings anyway. I am using 2011 X7 shifters which have the zero loss feature, so they should be fine. I don't ride well enough to need the latest equipment-- I really wish i did, but, at my age, it ain't gonna happen.

Wayne
    Even the older parts work well enough for any rider.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    If I recall correctly the 09s and 10s are the same. For 2011 Sram changed the placement of the cable holding bolt and switched to vented (rather than solid) jockey wheels. I have a 09 and 11 model and do not notice a difference in performance between the two.