mtbr member
    Oct 2007

X9 Rear Derailleur- No chain tension

Hi, This is my first post here...
    I'm just finishing up a custom build on an Iron Horse Azure. So I hang the derr, install the chain, and its haging there like a limp noodle. The derailleur is not taking up the slack. I bought it off Ebay used. Thse seller said it was tested working but.... This is my first build. I double and tripple checked my work and all looks ok...except the chain is just hanging there. Is there any way to service the tensioner spring, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one? Or is it possible I have it installed incorrectly. It sure looks like its installed right. Chedked against my other bike, online, etc. HELP. I wanna ride tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    how did you size the chain? does the der have any spring tension off the bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I wrapped the chain arount the largest front and rear sprockets, then added 2 links... It does have tension, but compared to the xt derailleur on my other bike, not nearly as much.

ups and downs
    Check this pivot stop on the derailleur. If the black plastic stop gets broken off it can allow the tension spring in the derailleur to unwind and put no tension on the chain. I have had this happen to an X-9 RD.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Rockyuphill,
    Thanks! The stop wasnt broken off, but the cage had unwound. I noticed the wear marks on the stop. Wound it back up, and now its perfect. Thanks a million!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BMSAdam View Post
    Rockyuphill,
    Thanks! The stop wasnt broken off, but the cage had unwound. I noticed the wear marks on the stop. Wound it back up, and now its perfect. Thanks a million!
    Hi

Sorry to re-open this thread. Took me ages to find anyone who has had this problem.
    My chain is hanging like a limp wrist.
    Could you possibly tell me exactly what I need to do? I can see the attached picture and am looking at the same. How do I "wind it back up"
    Any help will be muchly appreciated as I have a monster ride on Sunday

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Can anyone help with this please?