Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    400

    X9 2x10 front derailleur problem

    Ok I installed my new X9 2x10 drive-train over the weekend and all went well except the front derailleur. Shifting from the small ring to the largest is hit or miss and requires more pressure than should be necessary (IMO). Going from large to small is fast but will jump the small ring about every 4th time. Is there some trick to this damn thing that I'm missing or is it just a piece of sh%$.......I have many years of wrenching bikes but this thing has be baffled

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nixgame22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    514
    It sounds like you have the HIGH set-limit screw in too much. Trying backing it out a touch, and then use the barrel adjuster on the shifter to fine tune it.
    Maintain internal heights.

  3. #3
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,769
    Need more cable tension to make the shift to the large chain ring along with the H-limit screw set in too much.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by nixgame22
    It sounds like you have the HIGH set-limit screw in too much. Trying backing it out a touch, and then use the barrel adjuster on the shifter to fine tune it.
    I will give the H screw a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the advice

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,027
    Quote Originally Posted by pamt
    I will give the H screw a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the advice
    And adjust the low limit to stop the down shift chain drop.
    Also possible you will need to reset the cable after adjusting the limit screws.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    147
    I just installed an X7 2x10 last week, and my front derailleur is shifting very well, so its definitely possible to get it working well. The chain rings are pretty close and the chain is thin, so you have to get it dialed in. It took me a while to get it tuned up also.

    Make sure the derailleur cage is parallel to the chainrings. You should be able to use every cog in both chain rings without the chain rubbing on the cage. If not, the derailleur angle probably needs adjusting.

    Set your high limit screw first, and then increase the cable tension until the shifter can bring the derailleur to the limit.

    Also, make sure the cable is routed and clamped to the derailleur correctly, as this could effect the travel of the derailleur.

    Park has a nice guide here.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    400
    Thanks all for the help. After another 2 hrs. in the basement last night trying to get this F'n thing to work I think I'm going to take a it completely off the bike and start from ground zero. I have many years setting up 7-8-9 speed front mechs and although it is perhaps my least favorite thing to do I still have always manage to get them to work.
    My concern is if this thing is this hard to tune will this be an ongoing nightmare to keep it that way. I'm not sure if moving up to the XX or X0 is the answer or trying to get something from the big "S" to work

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by pamt
    Thanks all for the help. After another 2 hrs. in the basement last night trying to get this F'n thing to work I think I'm going to take a it completely off the bike and start from ground zero. I have many years setting up 7-8-9 speed front mechs and although it is perhaps my least favorite thing to do I still have always manage to get them to work.
    My concern is if this thing is this hard to tune will this be an ongoing nightmare to keep it that way. I'm not sure if moving up to the XX or X0 is the answer or trying to get something from the big "S" to work
    Setting up my XX last year was the easiest drivetrain I've set-up. Last night I stripped all the cables and housing and put new ones on and again the set-up was flawless. Be sure you prestretch the cables. Shift to the small ring then grab the cable and give it a good tug. More than likely it will have some slack after that. Now turn the adjusting barrel to take out the slack. As noted by others high and low limit screws are a concern as well as well as der. placement on the frame.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    400
    SUCCESS!!!!

    After adjusting both the high and low limit screws and tweaking the barrel a little she is not shifting perfect but is usable. It appears the H screw was the biggest culprit and a very small turn counter clockwise solved 3/4 of the problem. Good call nixgame22

    I think the number one problem was user error. In my profession we refer to it as an ID-10-T error. I was over adjusting on all levels. Once I backed down and used a little more finesse all went well
    Last edited by pamt; 02-18-2011 at 04:57 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •