mtbr member
    Dec 2009

X4 Rear Derailleur play at the hanger pivot

How far up the line of derailleurs do have to go for a decent RD that will stay in line on the cogs without lateral play at the hanger? Do any have bearings there? I think mine is missing a thin o-ring on the pivot bolt, is there supposed to be one? About to order an X9 but the X7 is <$40. Help.

mtbr member
    How far up the line of derailleurs do have to go for a decent RD that will stay in line on the cogs without lateral play at the hanger?

All SRAM RD's have some lateral play between the hanger and RD. This is more pronounced when the chain is not wrapped around the pulley wheels (ie: chain has not yet been installed).

I think mine is missing a thin o-ring on the pivot bolt, is there supposed to be one?

No

About to order an X9 but the X7 is <$40. Help.

I doubt you would notice the difference between the two. If money is tight then just get the X-7

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    All SRAM RD's have some lateral play between the hanger and RD. This is more pronounced when the chain is not wrapped around the pulley wheels (ie: chain has not yet been installed).

Wow, not an issue? Mine works fine when the chain is clean and lubed but after a
    long hard ride in mud and water, not so good. Would a X7 help?

xx = xtrČ
    About to order an X9 but the X7 is <$40. Help.
    I have had several X.7 and X.9, i was never able to tell the diference between the two without looking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Update. Yes, there are supposed to be 2 o-rings in grooves in the pivot bolt. I am missing one (from the factory) increasing play. I also had a bent hanger compounding problems.

Got an X9 ($60) which comparatively has no play and straightened the hanger resulting in pedaling bliss. Also loving the sealed bearing pulleys that are smoother and don't squeak toward the end of my ride.