Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,914

    New question here. X0 rear derailleur cage on an X9?

    Can an X0 rear derailleur cage be retroffited to an X9 (2008) rear derailleur? Specifically long cage.

    Wanting to get rid of the ridiculous upper jockey wheel on the X9 long cage - it's got a proprietary off-center bearing holder for the wheel... makes it impossibly to replace with aftermarket bearing or jocket wheel...)

    If you go here (pdf): http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...%20list%29.pdf

    and look at the top picture on p.22, you can see what I'm describing...


    cheers

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DavidR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    I'm interested in this as well. I would like to replace my long cage X9 with a short cage from an X0.

    Then use some of the nice X0 pulleys that are available. Should bring the weight of the X9 down while improving the performance. Plus a shorter cage would better suit my needs.

  3. #3
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    Can an X0 rear derailleur cage be retroffited to an X9 (2008) rear derailleur? Specifically long cage.

    Wanting to get rid of the ridiculous upper jockey wheel on the X9 long cage - it's got a proprietary off-center bearing holder for the wheel... makes it impossibly to replace with aftermarket bearing or jocket wheel...)

    If you go here (pdf): http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...%20list%29.pdf

    and look at the top picture on p.22, you can see what I'm describing...


    cheers

    No, only on an X9 short cage can you do this... for some reason the X9 short cage is made differently than the medium and long cage X9's.

    The X9 was changed for 2010 and it now uses regular bearing type pulley wheels like the X0 but the outer cage can still not be removed or replaced.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  4. #4
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,914
    pretty stupid!! mostly likely SRAM is doing this to prevent people from swapping to the X0 cage on the med & long versions... most likely because the mechanism itself is probably the same or almost the same... their way of making you pay a huge premium for an X0 RD....

  5. #5
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    pretty stupid!! mostly likely SRAM is doing this to prevent people from swapping to the X0 cage on the med & long versions... most likely because the mechanism itself is probably the same or almost the same... their way of making you pay a huge premium for an X0 RD....
    I know I can't believe that they made the short cage X9 different.
    With my X9 short cage I can change/replace the cage just like my X0.

    So maybe buy a short cage X9 while you still can get them at a cheap price.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  6. #6
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,914
    well that defeats the purpose as I have an X9 already (mind you that CAN'T be upgraded ) .... if I buy a whole new derailleur, i'll just get an X0 off ebay... but my X9 works great, so i'm in no hurry to replace it.... i'll take it apart this weekend and see if it really is "non-upgradeable"....

  7. #7
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    well that defeats the purpose as I have an X9 already (mind you that CAN'T be upgraded ) .... if I buy a whole new derailleur, i'll just get an X0 off ebay... but my X9 works great, so i'm in no hurry to replace it.... i'll take it apart this weekend and see if it really is "non-upgradeable"....
    There is a servicing guide for removing the X0 cage assembly on SRAM's Service website.

    What you will notice is the small alloy screw called the cage stop screw will not be there.
    This screw stops the X0 cage and short cage X9 from "unwinding" the cage spring and removing it allows you to unwind the spring and remove the cage assembly for the main derailleur body... see pages 44 & 45 here.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  8. #8
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,914
    thanks for the link PUBCRAWL... I see what you are saying about the cage stop screw... I'm assuming this screw (and the boss/tab it's attached to) doesn't exist on the X9 med/long cage version?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,911
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    pretty stupid!! mostly likely SRAM is doing this to prevent people from swapping to the X0 cage on the med & long versions... most likely because the mechanism itself is probably the same or almost the same... their way of making you pay a huge premium for an X0 RD....
    This is not usually the case in mfg and design. You try and use as many common parts as possible across you line. It's just cheaper. You dont have to test the special part. You don't to get it made special, which cuts your volume and your per piece price goes up. You dont have to stock this special part either in your inventory.

    So, there is usually a reason for the special set up. Since, it's on the x.9 that has a much lower selling price, and margin, they would want to use as many std parts as they could.

    Also, most people arent "tinkerers" that will mess with a rear derailleur. They will use what they got. So, if there are a few that could make the upgrade, SRAM would not lose much, if anything. Besides, they could gouge you on the cage price and make it back that way.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •