mtbr member
    Aug 2007

X0 Grip Shift Hand Placement

I just installed my X0 rear grip shifter (1x9) and cut my Oury grip to the same length as the grips that came with the X0's. Where do you guys keep your hands? On the shifter the entire time? Or off to the side? I feel like I want to keep my hand on the shifter at all times, and doing so puts my hand placement inward a little further than I'm use too. Do any of you cut your grips even shorter so that shifter is in a more natural hand location?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    I just installed my X0 rear grip shifter (1x9) and cut my Oury grip to the same length as the grips that came with the X0's. Where do you guys keep your hands? On the shifter the entire time? Or off to the side? I feel like I want to keep my hand on the shifter at all times, and doing so puts my hand placement inward a little further than I'm use too. Do any of you cut your grips even shorter so that shifter is in a more natural hand location?

Thanks!
    good choice in parts.

i cut my oury grips to approx 3 3/4 inches and use xo grip shift. my hands generally are on the shifter all the time. i never have unwanted shifts.

how long are your grips? longer than 3 3/4 inches?

mx

at no charge...
    On my last bike, I cut the grips so that that the total length (grip + gripshift) was the same as a regular grip and my hands were on them all the time.

I just bought a new bike and upgraded to X-9's. When I got the bike, they used the grips that came with the X-9s and they are significantly longer than the ones I had cut on my old bike.

Long story short, I really like the longer grips and I like not having my hand on the gripshifts all the time. The gripshift grip is larger in diameter than the regular grip and I think it made my hands sit unevenly.

If I don't need to shift, I don't need to mess with the shifter.

I AM I AM
    On mine I cut the oury grip to just past the third square.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    which is how long?

mx

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the advice.

I have mine cut with 4 squares showing, which is equal to the SRAM grip that comes with the shifter. I had thought about cutting it down to three squares to show just the "OUR" in OURY. I don't know exactly how long that is, but I would guess it would be about an inch per square.

I guess I have some tinkering to do when I get home from work!

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    I emailed OURY one time about 2-3 yrs ago to ask if there was any chance they would be coming out w/a gripshift length. They said flatly "No, we will not be doing a gripshift length and there are no plans to do so in the future".
    Seems like they're missing out on a lot of potential sales....no-win for all concerned.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    Same here. I think it is in the neighborhood of 80mm, which is on the short side, but it works well for me.

I have my hands only covering half of the grip area on the shifter. Still plenty for shifting without moving my hand, but also gives me a secure grip without any accidental shifting

trail fairy
    I live for lock ons

Depending on the terrain and whats up normally my thumb is alwyas on or ready to hit the shifter, I always have one finger on the brake old moto habit, its what I like with sram I can hold on without a death grip on the bars shift and brake all at the same time with no issues!

Plus the nice feature with X9 or X0 is th to attachment positions on the shfiter and the clamp so you can fine tune inwards or outwards of the grip position!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mbtr member
    The web of my thumb is the only thing that touches the grip shifter. I tend to twist them accidentally otherwise. It moves the brake pretty far inboard, but that doesn't really bother me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    I live for lock ons
    Grip shifts honey.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Grip shifts honey.
    been there done that in the 90s baby

max impulse number one, make it so! never go back now

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

I AM I AM
    which is how long?

mx
    That would be 7.5cm exactly. OP said he had oury grips too hence I was talking in squares.

I did start with cutting just a bit off to have 4 squares, it was ok, had to move my hand to shift. Since I cut it down to just past 3 it's a lot better with some of my hand sitting on the grip shifter (womens hands though & also X7 girp shift not X0).

I AM I AM
    And just in case anyone is interested, the full Oury grip in the background measures 12cm. The oury plus shifter in the foreground measure 12cm also - that's end to flange. I think it's a conincidence, but works for me.

TLL
    mtbr member

Here is THE setup

Here is how I ran my Ourys when I used gripshifts:

You can see that I ended up trimming both ends off the grip, which is easy if you use a sharp knife. 4 squares exactly. I then put some Odi lockon plugs on the end (not shown) though any plug will work.

Odi does now make a lock on that is specifically designed for gripshifters. Jenson has them.

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    I live for lock ons
    Chur
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Yo.
    ODI also has lock-on ruffians in GS length, as well as the rogues pic'd above. Not sure about the Yetis, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Here is how I ran my Ourys when I used gripshifts:

Chur
    chur..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Reviewer/Tester
    Here are a couple of samples of twist grip shifters with short grips...

These setups work well on my bikes...

R.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    On my SRAM Attacks I cut my grips down to 2.75" so overall grip is 4.5". I like my hands to be on the gripshift all the time. I tried them longer at first, but seemed to be wasted motion to have to move my hands in to shift.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So I cut the Oury grips down to 3 squares and it is PERFECT! Thanks for the ideas guys/gals. Took a spin tonight and so far I'm impressed with the grip shift. It's nice to grab a whole bunch of gears in one quick twist. Looks cleaner on the bar too, and we all know it's about the looks!