Broken and dizzy

X0 Derailleur worth it?

Well, I blew up my X9 derailleur over the weekend when my hanger snapped. Obviously, I need to replace it, '07 but I'm wondering if it's worth it from a performance perspective to go to an X0?

FWIW, I'm running '07 X9 trigger shifters.

mtbr member
    Not really the only real difference is weight. That said, If you have money to burn, Why not?

mtbr member

xo to x9

From a performance perspective you are getting little or nothing more from an XO. I ran an XO on my hard tail, and when I built up my 29er I opted for the X9 only because I could not justify the extra cost on an already expensive build. I have noting against XO parts, they look cool and work well and if you have the extra money why not go with XO. From a cost to benifit there isn't mcuh difference except for a little extra weight.

Hope this helps.

BFE

mtbr member
    Are those snap rings at the ends of the pivot axles? If so wouldnt be fairly easy to disassemble, clean, and lube?

mtbr member
    I've got X.0 on my RIP9 and X.9 on my Yeti 575. I honestly can't tell the difference in the shifting. Since the X.0 has carbon cages, every time I get a stick caught up in my chain, I mildy freak that it'll break the carbon cages.

So..X.9 costs 1/3 the price of X.0 and I don't worry about the cages snapping. Go X.9 in my opinion.

part-time human
    Mar 2006
    For what it's worth, on a moderately light xc bike the rear dérailleur accounts for approximately 2% of the overall weight. If your not worried about saving weight where ever possible, put your money somewhere else. That being said I run X0.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Jaghouse has hit the nail on the head, the XO is rebuildable, X9 is not.
    in shifting performance theres no way to tell the difference in performance between XO and X9.

here in nz you can buy (almost) 3 X9 rear Ds for the cost of one XO.

Broken and dizzy
    Thanks for all the input guys. X9 it is....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slidecontrol
    Jaghouse has hit the nail on the head, the XO is rebuildable, X9 is not.
    in shifting performance theres no way to tell the difference in performance between XO and X9.

here in nz you can buy (almost) 3 X9 rear Ds for the cost of one XO.
    Yep - and have you ever seen the price of some of the replacement parts for the X0 stuff? It looks great, but it doesn't work any better than the X9. I'd guess by the time you bought the original X0 derailleur, and fixed it once you could have bought 4 X9 rear derailleurs....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If I go wth the X9 rear derailleur would it make any sense at all to buy the XO shifters. XO shifters are quite a bit more expensive. I'm not sure if they are worth it for me.

Any advantages to XO shifters over X9 shifter when running a X9 rear derailleur?

Thanks.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I like the ability to adjust the lever throw of the X.0 shifters, so that's a big deal for me. I also prefer the feel of bearings to bushings and machined aluminum parts to plastic.

Is it worth 2x the cost? For me it was, for you it may not be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroman
    If I go wth the X9 rear derailleur would it make any sense at all to buy the XO shifters. XO shifters are quite a bit more expensive. I'm not sure if they are worth it for me.

Any advantages to XO shifters over X9 shifter when running a X9 rear derailleur?

Thanks.
    I've never used the trigger shifters, but I love the grip shifters. I have both the X.0 and the X-9 grip shifters and beyond cosmetics I don't think that there is any real difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm pretty sure the '07 X9 triggers use bearings and not bushings

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyMan
    I'm pretty sure the '07 X9 triggers use bearings and not bushings
    I didn't see any bearings when I disassembled them...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You probabilly won't feel any difference from a X9 to a XO rear derailleur.

The difference can be felt when one moves from X7 or X9 trigger shifters to XO trigger shifters.

Go for the X9!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ^^ '07 X9s are '06 X0s, no? They didnt use bearings in the '06 X0? Or did they drop the bearings? Interesting and good to know if so, because i havent heard that in all the research i did on the '07 X9 stuff.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    I've never used the trigger shifters, but I love the grip shifters. I have both the X.0 and the X-9 grip shifters and beyond cosmetics I don't think that there is any real difference.

If you have ever taken them apart to clean and lube, you would see that they are the same. I put XO grips on my Rocket shifters.
    Last edited by S-Works; 11-26-2007 at 06:35 AM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Dirt Displacer
    I've had my XO derailleur cage gobble up small sticks that got stuck in my chain or spokes, and no worries (knock on wood). Even with my X7 8spd shifters, the thing shifts nice & crisp. But when I bought it back in '06, the X9 was still a step behind. Now, if I was a little short on cash, I'd have no problems going with the X9.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyMan
    ^^ '07 X9s are '06 X0s, no? They didnt use bearings in the '06 X0? Or did they drop the bearings? Interesting and good to know if so, because i havent heard that in all the research i did on the '07 X9 stuff.
    You're right, they're "almost" X.0s. They kept the mechanism but cut the price by removing some of the more expensive parts. The lever is non-adjustable, there are a lot more plastic pieces and they use bushings instead of bearings in the internals.

After having ridden a large number of miles on both, you CAN feel the difference, but you're more likely to feel difference from cable wear or housing degradation first.

brainwashed jingoist
    Like others have already said It's not worth it, I am happy with my X9 and the extra money in my wallet.
    Love is the answer - but while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty interesting questions.