mtbr member
    Jan 2004

X0 Crankset Problem

My bike has developed a really bad creak and have narrowed it down to my XO cranks; i'm using them with a threaded GXP bottom bracket. No matter what I try I can not eliminate the side to side play the cranks. I've followed the directions which includes greasing various contact points and tightening them to a specific torque setting but no luck. I must have tried this 5 or 6 times over the course of a few days. Does anyone have any information regarding this? The crankset and BB are only 2 months old. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Check your pedals. Its happens quite often that a creak is traced to the cranks even though it is the pedals. Another thing to check are the saddle rails (both the junction to the saddle and saddle rail clamps).

If you havnt already, check the crank bolts. I have seen the inner bolts work their way loose and they cause quite a bit of creaking.

If that dosnt work, I would say its time to take the cranks and the bottom bracket out of the frame, clean all of the grease off, and then re-grease everything and put it back together.

If that dosnt work, go to your LBS or call Sram. Both are good options and should be very helpful.

Rub it............
    You said you torqued the crank down, but did you follow Sram's directions on the crank install?