mtbr member

X0 crank install - help needed

I'm installing an X0 crankset w/GXP BB on my Niner One9 and the drive side of the crank spindle doesn't connect properly to the BB. My crank looks like the one in the first picture, where there is nothing on the drive side spindle where it contacts the BB.

I'm wondering if I need some kind of washer like on the crank spindle in the second picture?

Any suggestions for what I need and where I could find it are greatly appreciated.

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X0 crank install - help needed-xo-crankset.jpg  

X0 crank install - help needed-5705283265_c4717f5b13_z.jpg  

Last edited by Myers005; 07-21-2011 at 09:13 AM.

banned
    Mar 2004
    That is a GXP style crank which means the BB doesn't need to contact the inside of the crank to hold it in alignment side to side. That's the job of the non-drive BB cup bearing. That's why the end of the shaft is stepped down before you get to the splines. Now, if you're using a Chris King BB, that's a different story. But they come with all of the appropriate hardware to properly install the crank.

What issue were you having?

mtbr member
    I'm using a Truvativ GXP BB. When I install the crankset and tighten the arm on the non-drive side it pulls the drive side into contact with the plastic cover of the BB, and when I rotate that crank (I haven't tried to ride it) it sounds like there's metal on metal rubbing. Sounds like you're saying that this shouldn't happen?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The GXP system captures the non drive side bearing and the drive side bearing is a floating bearing. It should not contact the drive side bearing. If it is contacting then there is an issue with the spacers on the bottom bracket and it should be solved before riding the crankset.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I'm an idiot, I hadn't installed the BB cap on the non-drive side that captures the splines on the spindle. I did have to put in a single spacer to get the crank to fit - which is a bit odd since it's a 73mm bottom bracket, but at least it fits now.

Mark