mtbr member

X-Gen FD issue...

Hey,

I have a normal hardtail frame running XT rings (44-32-22) with an SRAM X-Gen front der. Neither I nor my mechanic can get the thing adjusted right so that i get the full spread of gears in the rear without the chain rubbing on the cage in the middle chainring. If its adjusted to get the granny, it rubs when i shift to 8th or 9th. when its getting the high gears ok, the fd cage rubs in the granny.

all other aspects are fine. height of the fd is as per instructions, the cage is aligned with the chainrings when looking from above.

Any help?

cheers,

chuggboy

I should be studying...
    what shifters are you using?

mtbr member
    SRAM X9, all new cables.

its very frustrating! i've set it up so the there is no rubbing in the lowest gear. i figure that i'll need those gears more than the higher ones.

c

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm having the same issue with my x-gen front. I only have slight chain rubbing though. As far as I can tell, my derailluer is needs to be rotated just a tad to ensure that it is parallel to my crank. I'm expecting that to correct my issues. Just something to check.

Transition Blindside v5

Idea! X-Gen front derailleur cage's inside width

(DISCLAIMER: I can't win between "Do the search first!" and "Don't revive an old thread!", so here goes by doing a search first...)

Having used a SRAM X-Gen front derailleur for almost a year now, I'm revisiting this issue of the chain rubbing on the front-drlr cage when the chain is running on either extreme ends of the cassette cogs. Finally it hit me today, and I think it's due to the thickness of the "flair design" inside of the cage. (I'd like to see what you guys think about this.)

I'm using a XT crankset with its 44T replaced with a bashguard. While the chain is on the middle ring front, I have the front-drlr adjusted so that the chain won't at least rub on the inside of the front-drlr cage when the chain is on the largest cog rear. But, in return, while in the middle ring front, the chain will rub on th einside of the front-drlr cage on any of the 2~3 smallest cogs rear.

When I used to have a XT (M750, top-swing), I think it gave me a full 9spd-cassette range via middle ring without any rubbing issues on either extreme ends. Since I no longer have the XT, I closely looked at a sub-Deore on my wife's bike (whose middle ring creates no rubbing from 1st thru 9th cog), and noticed that Shimano's "flair design" (name?) inside the cage is looks to be thinner (meaning, more width/space within the cage) than SRAM. If that's true, then I think that this contributes to the available/unavailable range. What do you guys think???

I know about "crossing the chain", but - without the 44T front - it'll be nice if my middle ring can give me a full 9spd-cassette range. I think I'm going to go back to a Shimano front-drlr (an older XT, M751, bottom-swing), and see if that will solve the problem. (I'll still keep my X.9 shifters & rear drlr, though, 'cause I really like them.)

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PiroChu; 10-24-2005 at 11:26 PM.

banned
    Who knows. I had a full 9 speed range on my X Gen...

I had a whole new drivetrain too.. RF DH Evolve ISIS cranks. Umm... SRAM PG-990 cassette, chain, and SRAM x.7 deraileur and x.7 attack triggers.

Canuck
    Mar 2004

I've got rubbing too

Xgen FD with XO RD. Could never get it adjusted right so there was no rubbing. Had a mechanic adjust it - he improved it so that only had about 2 gears rubbing per range. Since I have gripshift - I can nudge it forward or backward to make any gear combo work. Mechanic man said the Xgen was designed this way for crisper shifts - personally I can't tell a difference between it and XT FD's on my other bikes. For this reason I wouldn't spec Xgen on another bike.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    I had the same experience with my X-Gen front derailuer. I remember my Suntour and Shimano front derailuers exhibiting the same rubbing, but to a lesser degree. I just 'trimmed' out the front derailuer to get rid of the rub as I shifted accross the back. Eventually, I got rid of the whole front shifting thing and went with only one ring in the front for simplicity and I like it .