banned
    Sep 2011

From X-Flow to Blaze

I'm going to start replacing the drivetrain on my response sport with slightly better stuff from stock, starting with the crank, rings and Bottom Bracket.

I have Truvativ Xx-flow on it now as a crank and looking at the comp version of the Response, it came with a Truvativ "Blaze" crankset and rings.

I found a Blaxe crankset on Ebay Truvativ Blaze Crank 170mm Crankset 44/32/22 Power Spline 68/73 x 118mm BB OEM | eBay

44 dollars with a new BB....

I was wondering id this set is a slight upgrade or as good as the X-flow crankset?

I neve rknew how difficult it is to replace parts....so many choices.

mtbr member
    The Truvativ Blaze is okay, I prefer the Howitzer BB version better rather than the Powerspline. In 2010 it was considered an AM crank in the Truvativ catalog. The main difference is the Blaze has forged AL66 arms and the X-flow generic cast arms.
    You may want something ligher, such as a RaceFace Ride X-Type but you don't state how your going to use it.

LightJunction.com
    I rode the Blaze crankset on a few bikes for years, even on my DJ bike. The Howitzer BB is a definite improvement, but the Blaze held up well enough. It's a pretty solid budget crankset, but there are probably better options out there if you're looking to upgrade as it is.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

banned
    Sep 2011
    I'm going to get that crank now a new problem... I have no idea what size bottom bracket I have.

I take it it's either 65 or 73 MM across and 185 long? I have been told on my Response it is a small shell which the guy says sucks compared to his bigger shell...I guess mine is the 65 then.

I can't believe how hard it is to select parts for these things and it's like they don't even make a stock replacement X- flow... Seems the Blaze is a slight improvement and the price seems fare...so that is the one to get for this bike.

I already got a Shimano Atlus cassette for 8 bucks new....

mtbr member
    The howitzer BB works with 68 or 73, the only difference is the amount of spacers that go under the cups. I tried to paste the Howitzer manual, but could not due to size. A 68MM uses (3) 2.5mm spacers, a 73mm uses (1), unless you use a chain guide, then you take 1 off both. You can find that on the SRAM/Truvativ service site, seatch for Howitzer. You will need the 50/51 chainline since your bike uses 135mm rear hub spacing.