Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

x.9 type 2 derailleur problems

Hey guys i installed my SRAM x.9 rear derailleur type 2 with all new 10 speed gear cassette 11-36, chain, and front 34T ring i was having trouble after about a month on the new setup i noticed that there was a strange noise coming from the bike while pedals in the low gear when i put the bike was in the stand i noticed that it was also having a hard time dropped from the low gear (36) to the next gear down, its also having trouble dropping down from the second to last high gear to the highest gear (11) cable tension would help a little but the B screw seemed to help the most but i could never get it perfect and today after pulling the chain i noticed the top pulley was completely worn out already! does anyone have some insight on this?

derailleur to close to cassette?

chain line issue?

to much tension from type 2 system?

installer error?

mtbr member
    Don't know anything about type two's, but that derailleur looks way too folded forward and stretched out for being on the big ring in back. Chain too short?

edit* after looking at the photo again, something seems totally screwed up. To me the hangar even looks funny and the upper jockey wheel is waay too close to the cassette.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was messing with the b screw in that picture I wanted to show you guys the setup the chain is the correct length it has about another 1" the derailleur can swing up. The suspension bottomed out completely

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar187 View Post
    I was messing with the b screw in that picture I wanted to show you guys the setup the chain is the correct length it has about another 1" the derailleur can swing up. The suspension bottomed out completely
    Not shifting off the big cog easily is one of the symptoms of a too short chain.

I would add a link (at least) and adjust the B-screw.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have the exact set up as you and have the exact same problem. Tell you what, I've about had it with sram & about ready to go back to shimano. Already switched to servo wave brakes and they blow away avid cr's. Pedals- shimano, cassette , no contest shimano etc. I also have had 2 model years in row x9 rear derailleurs where it was impossible to adjust either the H or L screw with out it bottoming out on the other rendering it useless.

Having played with the chain length I don't beleive it to be a factor (the upper pulley runs to close to the cogs despite chain length or b-screw tension). In a nut shell, the derallieur action between the 13t cog & 32t cog is inaccurate. You can NOT tune the derallieur to run true on both the 13t cog & the 32t cog simultaneously & have to choose one or the other. On a positive note I will say there is zero chain slap.

Been tuning derallieurs for 20+ years and it is not rocket science. If anybody else has any insight into the issue I'm all ears.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i tired a new chain and that sure wasnt it! I took it to a shop they sure couldnt do it!

Hey big JC thanks for chiming in! It is complete BS that this wasn't corrected before the derailleur was put into production. I called SRAM and they are warranting it. I am kinda glad that im not the only one having issues. I am also fed up with the new SRAM stuff i had new XO brakes they are ready failed i am now on to XT brakes they are the bees knees! I put all my old X9 9speed stuff on it is so nice how the shifter feels so much lighter and it responds instantly! I will agree to the face that there was zero chain slap!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My X.0 Type 2 has what seems to be a similar issue.

There is an audible clicking or knocking sound on initial suspension compression. It seems to be coming from the clutch one-way mechanism. I can see the pulley cage move a few mm exactly when the suspension starts to cycle. It started in lower gears, and has worsened so that it doesn’t matter which gear it is in.

As part of diagnosing, I took off my shock to cycle the suspension and observe everything. I have my chain length set so the r. derailleur still has some swing left at full travel in "big-big" with my chainguide. I have no shifting, guide, or tension issues. There is just a lurch in the cage/ clutch rotation. The knock sounds becomes worse over time as well.

I've used one-way needle bearings at work (high end R/C race cars) that exhibited this behavior when they were undersized for the application. They work intermittently… very similarly to how by Type 2 action is working.

Perfectionist with ADHD!
    I have been thinking of upgrading to this RD, it seems like a good thing to hold off a little longer and do more reading. I hope this problem is not widespread as I really like the low chain slap everyone brags about with this item.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Don't know anything about type two's, but that derailleur looks way too folded forward and stretched out for being on the big ring in back. Chain too short?

edit* after looking at the photo again, something seems totally screwed up. To me the hangar even looks funny and the upper jockey wheel is way too close to the cassette.
    actually it looks too far away or just about right.. it should be around 6mm tooth of cassette to tooth of jockey wheel unless they changed that with the new clutch units

the way that jockey wheel is worn it looks to me that the hanger is slightly bent (if you notice the angle worn into the side of the tooth it says the chain is sliding off the side not off just the top) Also having the B screw set too far away the top edge of the jockey wheel tooth will wear in a "shark fin" like that because the chain isn't leaving the wheel smoothly and is using less of them to guide the chain onto the cassette.. closer to the cassette give the chain more wrap around the jockey, more teeth doing the same job..

the chain does look a tad short ... with a guide like that the chain should have at least 2-4 extra links..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Update:

After talking to SRAM and shop handling my warranty for the knocking issue, it seems the X.0 medium cage w/ the type 2 clutch is only rated at a 35T capacity. Their non-type 2 medium is usually 37T.

I'm running a 24/36 with an 11-36 cassette which needs 37T (which their older medium cages could handle)...

Short version is that they are sending me a long cage and I would expect them to update their tech specs shortly if that truly is the issue. I'll report back once installed.

Side note: The XTR shadow plus medium cage and shifter I'm using in the meantime has zero issues with everything else being identical.

mtbr member
    How is the XTR RD working perfectly with SRAM shifters? That surprises me.

Anyway... about the main issue of chainwrap capacity. The SRAM documentation online is correct. There is a graphical diagram on the derailleur paper document which shows the valid combos. It's two triangular wedges... not the easiest thing in the world to read IMHO. They should just have a grid with a green check mark or a red X. Sheesh!

The type 2 X9 & X0 rear derailleurs have the following capacity:

short cage - 30
    mid cage - 35
    long cage - 47

There are many 2x10 combos that could result in the mid cage being inadequate if you're using the 11-36 pie plate... very annoying. and-- yes, I had it happen to me. I chose to run a 11-32 cassette I already had instead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tree_trunks View Post
    Side note: The XTR shadow plus medium cage and shifter I'm using....
    Note: I switched to the XTR derailleur and XTR shifter I had from another bike already.

Sorry if my lack of specifics implied I mated the X.0 shifter to the XTR der.

If the cable pull was compatible betwen the two, I'd just use the X.0 shifter with the XTR Shadow+ and call it a day... I can dream right?

From everything I've read, the average cable pull on Shimano 10 speed (offroad) is 2.3mm/ click mated to their 1.7 actuation ratio where the SRAM is 3mm of cable pull with their 1.36 ish actuation ratio. So they're obviously not compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    ... not the easiest thing in the world to read IMHO....

short cage - 30
    mid cage - 35
    long cage - 47
    I agree about their new instructions... I completely missed that the capacity shrank to 35 for the mid cage from the older X.0 37 capacity. I hope all is good when my long cage shows up. A number chart like your 3 lines above is a hell of a lot simpler.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/qq...components.pdf
    Last edited by tree_trunks; 09-18-2012 at 01:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    actually it looks too far away or just about right.. it should be around 6mm tooth of cassette to tooth of jockey wheel unless they changed that with the new clutch units

the way that jockey wheel is worn it looks to me that the hanger is slightly bent (if you notice the angle worn into the side of the tooth it says the chain is sliding off the side not off just the top) Also having the B screw set too far away the top edge of the jockey wheel tooth will wear in a "shark fin" like that because the chain isn't leaving the wheel smoothly and is using less of them to guide the chain onto the cassette.. closer to the cassette give the chain more wrap around the jockey, more teeth doing the same job..

the chain does look a tad short ... with a guide like that the chain should have at least 2-4 extra links..

The chain is the correct length it is 1091 with one link removed on my santa cruz nomad.

As for the b screw it probably is not adjusted correctly in the photo. I had been adjusting in and out after i was pretty fed up trying to figure out if that indeed was the issue with the derailleur not shifting correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Here is a video of the issue that i was having. On top of the shifting issue i was having a clunking noise as you can see if i move the cage forward the noise goes away as if the tension was to much. (You can also see the B screw adjusted)

I moved on to a Zee (also has a clutch) rear derailleur and saint shift and things are working perfectly!
    Last edited by Darkstar187; 09-18-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar187 View Post
    Here is a video of the issue that i was having. On top of the shifting issue i was having a clunking noise as you can see if i move the cage forward the noise goes away as if the tension was to much. (You can also see the B screw adjusted)

I moved on to a Zee (also has a clutch) rear derailleur and saint shift and things are working perfectly!
    video errors... try using Vimeo or U-tube...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ok fixed!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    hmmm can't really tell much that far away from the drive train..

does look like the B screw is WAY tooo far out but again, hard to tell... can't really even see what the issue is if the Shimmy stuff is working.. leave it

mtbr member
    I can hear that it sounded like something was very wrong with the clutch. I can also see that his derailleur isn't overstretched, unlike some. He didn't have a capacity or chain length issue that I can see.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    With the b screw adjusted out that far was the only way to get it to down shift. I have adjusted many derailleurs this one in the defective state was a battle to even get to to almost shift normally. The b screw not having anything to do with the problem or even the chain length which was the correct length. Only one link short of a new chain on a 1/10 with 34 x 11-36 med cage derailleur is defiantly not going to be on the short side. The deraileur did work correctly when it was first installed after a few rides the shifting became temperamental I noticed in certain gears.

As you can see in the picture shimano set up the proper b screw distance is set.

mtbr member

I understand that it is fixed OP, so that is great news! Just wanted to address Mr. Llama for a sec.......You are absolutely right. With the pic blown blown up like that it is indeed too far, not too close. Good eye!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    After looking at the new Specialized Enduro drivetrain setups. 11-36 rear cassette and 36/24 chainrings. They are using the type 2 mid rear mechs. Wonder if they are having these issues also because I was looking to get the same setup as the new enduros.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

broken sram x9 swing arm

Does anyone know if you can replace the inner side(closer to the wheel) of a sram x9 rear derailleur. I was biking along and my derailleur kept making noise in the high gears, i jumped, started pedaling and SNAP. the swing arm had got jammed in the spokes an broke the inner swing arm and hanger. i had like only 15 to 20 miles on the derailleur after restoring my gary fisher Cake. i cant find any replacement part for the x9 and i dont want to spend another $80. for now i'm stuck riding my eatern bmx(not so bad) so i'l appreciate any advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Question for ColinL--I installed an X0 Type 2 in place of an existing XX. On my 2x10, 11-36, 38-24, I set the chain length for small chain ring and small cassette cog. When I next shift to the large chain ring and shift up the cassette gears, the chain gets stuck at about the 8th cog--not enough chain length. If I add a link, the jockey wheel will rub the chain when on the small cassette cog and small chain ring. The chain wrap capacity and cassette capacity appears to be the same for the medium cage XX and X0 type 2. So, why does XX work, while the X0 Type 2, does not?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by testtech View Post
    Question for ColinL--I installed an X0 Type 2 in place of an existing XX. On my 2x10, 11-36, 38-24, I set the chain length for small chain ring and small cassette cog. When I next shift to the large chain ring and shift up the cassette gears, the chain gets stuck at about the 8th cog--not enough chain length. If I add a link, the jockey wheel will rub the chain when on the small cassette cog and small chain ring. The chain wrap capacity and cassette capacity appears to be the same for the medium cage XX and X0 type 2. So, why does XX work, while the X0 Type 2, does not?
    umm supposed to be large -large, not small-small for the chain length... probably destroying your whole drive train right now

mtbr member
    umm supposed to be large -large, not small-small for the chain length... probably destroying your whole drive train right now
    Probably impolite, but I seriously LOL'D at this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast