mtbr member
    Sep 2004

x.9 Sram Setup, Shimano XT cassette, or sram?

I'm going to get the x.9 shifters a derailer setup for my Giant. Now I want to know if i should save a few bucks and get the SRAM POWERGLIDE PG-990 9SP cassette (11-34) or buy an XT cassette for double the $$. Im pretty new to this stuff, so any input would be awesome. Also i have two wheelsetts, (on road/off road) for the bike and want to keep the same cassettes on so i dont have to reajdust like crazy.

Thank you
    Josh

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use the PG990 and have ben very pleased. I might suggest you look at the 11-32 for at least the on road setup but I run an 11-32 off road and it is plenty and smooths out shifting to the big cogs.

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowjett
    I'm going to get the x.9 shifters a derailer setup for my Giant. Now I want to know if i should save a few bucks and get the SRAM POWERGLIDE PG-990 9SP cassette (11-34) or buy an XT cassette for double the $$. Im pretty new to this stuff, so any input would be awesome. Also i have two wheelsetts, (on road/off road) for the bike and want to keep the same cassettes on so i dont have to reajdust like crazy.

Thank you
    Josh
    the pg 990 shifts as well as anything shimano save your money
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I like the PG990 except for the abnormally big jump from the 2nd-biggest-cog to the biggest cog on the 11-34. You can see they kept every cog the same except for the biggest one as the 11-32 in an effort to save money. You can also see that the the 11-32 PG990 has normal cog-size progression. Which is why I have the SRAM 11-32 PG990 on my hardtail.

In contrast, Shimano CS-M760 11-34 has normal cog-size progression, smooth from beginning to end. Most (if not all ) gears are all different from the 11-32 version. This is why I decided to opt for Shimano in the case of 11-34 that I needed on my trailbike.

I also happen to have the X.9 derailleur/trigger shifter setup and the RD-M750 (2003 XT, non-RapidRise) derailleur/Rocket trigger shifter setup. Gotta love those SRAM trigger shifters!

I would say that SRAM and Shimano have very different (but both valid) philosophies when it comes to the quality of the actual shift, and this is reflected in how their shifters and cassettes perform.

SRAM seems to believe in positive-shifting to almost a fault. Shifts up and down are almost always BAM! with an exclamation mark. Shifts under power, with reduced power, it doesn't matter. There is no such thing as a subtle SRAM shift, and an X.9 with a PG990 is VERY positive, noticeably more so than an X.9 with a CS-M760.

Shimano, OTOH, seems to believe in smooth-shifting. If you back off on the power while you shift, Shimano will give you almost imperceptible up-cog-shifting and relatively quiet down-cog-shifting. Sometimes that shift may take one or two ramps (meaning slightly slower than SRAM), but it will happen assuming your system is not terribly gunked-up. (I didn't try the RD-M750 with anything other than the CS-M760, FYI) Aside: if you can see RapidRise as anything other than just a ploy to mess with SRAM, you might be able to understand it as a further extension of the "super-smooth up-cog-shift" idea, by making up-cog-shifting pressure a constant by taking it out of the hands of the rider.

(Personally, I hate RapidRise as I had to un-learn the "normal" way to shift... which I was unsuccessful at before I gave up on RapidRise altogether in favor of SRAM triggers. A friend that picked up MTBing recently actually learned on RapidRise and so seems to do well with it... One final aside about RapidRise that is probably old-news to most of you... do not try to use SRAM Rocket/Attack shifters with RapidRise derailleurs! It will suck. Hence the "ploy to mess with SRAM" mentioned earlier.)
    Last edited by DtEW; 09-19-2004 at 11:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DtEW
    One final aside about RapidRise that is probably old-news to most of you... do not try to use SRAM Rocket/Attack shifters with RapidRise derailleurs! It will suck. Hence the "ploy to mess with SRAM" mentioned earlier.)
    I use Rockets and a Rapid Rise XT Derailleur and it works just fine. No missed shifts and confusing as possible when comoing from my X.9 setup.