Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

X-9 Shifter Question

895 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  frdfandc 
#1 ·
OK, I have been a shimano man since I started riding. But recently I bought some SRAM shifters - - SRAM X-9 9 speed. This is a totally basic question: How do I get the cable out of the shifter to replace it. I have changed Shimano's a million times, but these are different. Any help?

Thanks

#5 ·
#6 ·
The piece that says 'Impulse" unscrews. Sometimes they are a tad tight and require a pair of needle nose pliers to loosen up.

Once you get that off, the top cap comes off.

What ever you do, do not remove the allen bolt on the bottom of the shifter. If you do, you will be spending most of your evening trying to get it back together.

#7 ·
frdfandc said:
The piece that says 'Impulse" unscrews. Sometimes they are a tad tight and require a pair of needle nose pliers to loosen up.

Once you get that off, the top cap comes off.

What ever you do, do not remove the allen bolt on the bottom of the shifter. If you do, you will be spending most of your evening trying to get it back together.
Thanks frdfandc, I figured it out and just finished the job.

And I must say that the method of replacing cables in these shifters is completely stupid. I used XTR teflon cables. But there is no way I would thread Gore-Tex cables through these shifters. It is too tight. You will compromise the Gore-Tex.

WOW! I am just shaking my head at how stupid that process was.

#10 ·
Pisgah said:
TBut there is no way I would thread Gore-Tex cables through these shifters. It is too tight. You will compromise the Gore-Tex.
There is no need for fancy expensive cables with SRAM 1:1 systems, they work in adverse conditions even with dirty cables. You've just been trained to need those cables with Shimano...seriously:thumbsup:

#11 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
There is no need for fancy expensive cables with SRAM 1:1 systems, they work in adverse conditions even with dirty cables. You've just been trained to need those cables with Shimano...seriously:thumbsup:
Thats interesting - I am about to install some X9 triggers and was going to use the Gore Ride-On cables with them.

Would this not work with the X9 triggers?

#12 ·
WhenGoatsAttack said:
Thats interesting - I am about to install some X9 triggers and was going to use the Gore Ride-On cables with them.

Would this not work with the X9 triggers?
I just responded to you on the Gore-Tex thread. I am someone who has used Gore-Tex cables in the past, and I believe they will help any system stay fresh longer, no matter what the ratio is. Like I said on the other thread though, the problem with the X-9s is the method of installing the cables. I think the shifter mechanism will scrape the Gore-Tex lining as you run it though the shifter.

The Shimano's and some other SRAM systems simply have the port of the side of the shifter which allows one to carefully push the cable through with very little friction on the cable. In other words, there seemed to be a lot of rubbing when running the cables through the X-9's

Just my $.02

#13 ·
Pisgah said:
I just responded to you on the Gore-Tex thread. I am someone who has used Gore-Tex cables in the past, and I believe they will help any system stay fresh longer, no matter what the ratio is. Like I said on the other thread though, the problem with the X-9s is the method of installing the cables. I think the shifter mechanism will scrape the Gore-Tex lining as you run it though the shifter.

The Shimano's and some other SRAM systems simply have the port of the side of the shifter which allows one to carefully push the cable through with very little friction on the cable. In other words, there seemed to be a lot of rubbing when running the cables through the X-9's

Just my $.02
Thanks Pisgah.

After I posted I took the top cover off the X9 to understand what you are saying - and I totally agree. I tried moving the installed cable out and then back into position and you can feel the cable scraping along the inner housing.

I wonder if there is some way to install a new cable and keep the friction down - perhaps hold the spring back or something?

Either way I'm glad you pointed this out, I'll hold off on the ride-ons unless I can find a less 'intensive' install method. Cheers.

#14 ·
I prefer to use a high quality stainless steel shift cable without any coatings. Coatings seem to clog up the housings over time IMO.

As long as you use a quality housing set, with good sealed ferrules, then contamination of dirt and grime is kept to a minimum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.