mtbr member
    Feb 2009

X.9 Front derailleur setup

I just built up a Jamis XCR with full X.9 drivetrain. The rear derailleur setup went smoothly and is behaving properly.

I'm having issues with the front setup. I set the high and low limits. With the cable free I can feel the 3 positions in the shifter, so I set it to the lowest and tensioned the cable. When I try to shift It seems to 'miss' the middle ring but not quite get to the big ring. If I push carefully it will land on the middle ring, and if I push to the full extent of the travel, it will shift to the big ring. But once it is on either of those rings, the chain rubs lightly.

Then the really weird part, I can't for the life of me shift from the big ring to the middle ring. It just skips to the small one. It's like the detent for the middle ring disappears once I hook it to the derailleur.

I'm assuming I'm doing something dumb, but I'm an engineer and usually pretty good at troubleshooting this sort of thing. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Dirt Deviant
    Way too much cable tension.
    The cable tension should be almost non existant. It should flop around about an inch in either direction when in the small ring.
    Let some slack out and try shifting again.
    You'll be suprised at how much slack you need it to have.

Forgot to mention, make sure you are routing the cable around the correct side of the clamp bolt. If you route it wrong, it changes the leverage ratio of the shifter.......I guess thats the best way to explain it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Finally got to work on the bike again. You were right. Amazing how much slack is in the cable.

Thanks.