I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005

X.7 V.S. Deore LX

So i found a smoking deal on Sram X7 drivetrain. $50. Anyway, is this any improvement over Deore LX. If its the same I will probably get them, because I HATE my Shimano's. They are a pain. But i just want to make sure they aren't a downgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I think that the 7.0 stuff is pretty nice for the money. My Jamis XLT came with 7.0 as oem drivetrain and I have been very pleased. After 6 months and about 400 miles my only issue is the thumb-thumb shifters, they took me a long time to get used to and properly positioned on the bar. My previous bike had/ has 04 XT and I feel that the sram shifts as well, but takes more muscle.

it's....
    The way I look at it:
    X7 = LX
    X9 = XT
    X0 = XTR
    I went from LX to X9 and couldn't be happier.
    X7 should have similar performace, but a little heavier.
    Gonna get a X7 RD myself to compare with X9.

locked - time out

Smile X7 is an Upgrade! IMO

Quote Originally Posted by oilerfan30
    So i found a smoking deal on Sram X7 drivetrain. $50. Anyway, is this any improvement over Deore LX. If its the same I will probably get them, because I HATE my Shimano's. They are a pain. But i just want to make sure they aren't a downgrade.
    You'll need shifters to go with the X7 RD, [1:1 ratio]. Check out Price Point .com for a
    good deal on combos X7 X9 and XO.

Good luck.

Jake Pay, All Sram Here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went from XT to X.7, and my only beef is the derailleur has bushing pulley wheels, and the top one occasionally seizes up, causing the chain to skip if I pedal backwards (not a huge deal). The X9 has sealed bearing pulleys I think, so if you can, it's worth a few bucks more for the X9 rear mech anyway. My X7 triggers work just fine, so if they are much cheaper, don't be afraid of them.

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    I went from XT to X.7, and my only beef is the derailleur has bushing pulley wheels, and the top one occasionally seizes up, causing the chain to skip if I pedal backwards (not a huge deal). The X9 has sealed bearing pulleys I think, so if you can, it's worth a few bucks more for the X9 rear mech anyway. My X7 triggers work just fine, so if they are much cheaper, don't be afraid of them.
    my 05 X9 rear derailleur does not have sealed bearings in the pulley wheels.
    It was sticky so I took it apart and regreased it so I'm sure of it.
    I think only X0 comes with it.

mtbr member
    If you want to kep the cost down and want smooth shifting, go with the X.7. Ive tried them a few times and they work better than the LX. Since you already have a shimano rear derailleur, go with the attack triggers from Sram, they are smooth, and I run it with my XT rear derailleur!!! LOVE IT!!!. Good luck on what you choose!!!

banned
    I've heard you can buy X.0 pulley wheels with the sealed bearings...

Just throw them in the X.7! I loved the X.7 I used. If I go geared ever again, then I'll be running my e.13 chainguide and X.7 derailleur.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    my 05 X9 rear derailleur does not have sealed bearings in the pulley wheels.
    It was sticky so I took it apart and regreased it so I'm sure of it.
    I think only X0 comes with it.
    My 05 X9 actually has a bushing in the lower pulley, no bearing. Or maybe is the top one , I can't remember, anyhoo, one of the pulleys is bearing the other is bushing on X9's now.

And the grease they come with does not mesh well with temps below 10F, in my experience.

For the OP: if you are having problems adjusting the LX, switching to X7 -and changing cables and housing while you are at it- may make your life easier, since SRAM's stuff is generally a little bit easier to adjust. But you may want to try throwing new cables/housing on your LX stuff before spending the coin on SRAM, if money is tight. And if your hanger is bent, you rings/cassette/chain are worn, well, X7 ain't gonna solve nothing.