mtbr member
    Jun 2008

x.7 short cage and double crank

Might get flamed, but here is my plan-

x.7 rear short cage, with a double crank. I run 32x22 up front and a 34 out back. I pretty much always use the 32, with the 22 as a bailout. (in which case the 22 is always running with the 34t in the rear). I also run a stinger.

Anyone run this combo? I know this can be very sensitive with shifting, which is fine by me, but i just want the clearance and shift performance.

mtbr member
    If it works, it should be sweet, I can't see why not. I run 1x9 32 front,34-11 rear and a stinger with a home fabricated jump stop also with an medium cage X7. Conventional wisdom says that short cage is strictly for a 1X system, but I can't see why not with an optional granny when you really need it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was doing some math- (32-22)+(34-15)=29t. Keeping note that a short cage x9/x7 can take up to 30t according to sram. Your probably wondering where the 15 is coming from. The 15 is the 15t cog on the rear cassette, which is the last possible ratio of the 34-11 cassette. I would only be using the upper 2-3 cogs at best, so this should work out perfectly. Not only that, If I decide to drop the 22t ring and get a Mini G2, I am ready to go with it.

My math on point?