Thread: x-7

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

x-7

I went for a ride today, or should i say attempted too? i drove 30 minutes to the trail. me and my rideing buddy headed off. we where gone about 20 minutes i was followinf him and we had to go over a limb on the ground. no problem right? wrong a stick jumped up and caught my derailleur. so i am curious if anyone else has had a problem with this. are the x-7 a faulty design? or was it just life? by the way i should mention i have a 2006 K2 zed 4.0.
    i am also trying to figure out if i should replace with another x-7 or somethign else? any help would be great

bike.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bi-winning
    the problem was the stick not the X7. **** happens. sorry about your luck.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That is a cool looking failure, but it does suck to be out and have something bust.

Look at it this way, an X9 is better and under $100

but, that derailer hanger thing sucks too.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Former Bike Wrench
    Bad luck, I once had a stick destroy the only XTR derailluer I ever owned...had to replace it with an XT because I couldn't afford another XTR

Count your lucky stars it wasn't an X.O.
    Last edited by mtnbiker72; 11-11-2007 at 08:32 PM.

OSCMTB
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Bad luck, I once had a stick destroy the only XTR derailluer I ever owned...had to replace it with an XT because I couldn't afford another XTR

Count your lucky stars it wasn't and X.O.
    Watched a guy rip apart an XTR derailleur the other day. I think I almost cried a little...

Former Bike Wrench

My buddy did the same thing right in front of me

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    Watched a guy rip apart an XTR derailleur the other day. I think I almost cried a little...
    I don't even recall seeing the stick...but my buddies XTR must have been charged with explosives...man, I've never seen a derailluer let go like his did

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

that what i thought

thats what i thought my other question is the derailleur hanger i think its called where do i get one of those that looks bent also?

...idios...
    Look at it this way; you've been very fortunate. If the mech had twisted the other way it would have jammed into the spokes, so you'd be looking at repairing even more damage.
    Your shop should be able to get hold of a new derailleur hanger, although try a Google for it first.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thats a good point steve. it was one of those moments where i was so mad that all i could do was laugh. looking back now its hilarious.
    Whats the difference in derailleurs? likes whats makes a X-9 better than a X-7? and whats th difference in sizes? medium to long??

Was that a Bobcat?
    I had the same thing happen to my X.7 RD two weekends ago. Same scenario with the stick getting caught up and between my chain and RD. I was going to go for a X.9, but ended up with another X.7.