mtbr member

Upset WTF did Shimano/SRAM do to their chains??!!I

I've been using Shimano's 9sp cassettes for about 6 years now. Always with SRAM chains (pc 59 / pc 69). NEVER had any issues. Always great shifting and pretty long chain life.
    Time came to replace another chain and I see that SRAM has new generation 951 which replaced pc59. So I figure it's the same chain and buy a bunch of them.
    Take it out of the box and I see that they've changed the design to have a big bulge in the middle of the plate. I put this chain on and my bike sounds like a busted wind-up toy! Not smooth in any gear.. just awful! I was hoping that my cassette was just worn out, so I swapped it for a brand new one... same awful feel!!
    Then I tried to put this new chain on one of my other 9sp bikes.. SAME problem!
    So after 6 years of using SRAM chains exclusively, I figure I have to go back to Shimano (stopped using Shimano chains cause I snapped one about a month into its life.. never happen with SRAM).
    So I get a Shimano HG73 (LX) and guess what?? .. SAME friggin bulge in the middle of each plate!! Put it on and sure enough, it's not much better than SRAM (just slightly better cause the bulge isn't as huge as SRAM).
    Has anyone else out there experienced this issue?? Did you find a way to make it work or did you just accept the crappy feel and learned to live with it (I refuse to do that).

I'm very seriously considering going to 8sp because of this.
    Wippermann chains look normal/flat, but reviews are awful.. same goes for KMC.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    The retrogrouch in me still runs 8sp on my XC bike. My AM bike is 9sp, though. The drivetrain is as quiet as can be.

How long have you been running your chainrings??? Did you check them for wear??? Good luck.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    The retrogrouch in me still runs 8sp on my XC bike. My AM bike is 9sp, though. The drivetrain is as quiet as can be.

How long have you been running your chainrings??? Did you check them for wear??? Good luck.
    Chainrings are far from new, but do not show *bad* wear. The 2nd 9sp bike I tried this new chain on didn't really need a replacement yet.. the old pc-69 on it is not stretched out at all and it's silent with that chain on. With new chain, it's terrible.. that's the part that makes me think it's the new chain design that's causing this.
    What chain are you running on your AM bike? Is it one of the newer ones with bulging plates?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    You might have enough wear to cause the issue that you are having. Also, is the sound specifically coming from the cassette/chain? Did you recheck the rear D to see if it is off?

The new chain should be designed with necessary clearances. Should be....it should also shift better with those plates....should shift better...

I don't know what chain is on the AM. I do know that my roadie has a brand new 10spd chain. Talk about far gone expensive chains, and picky drivetrains, but it shifts great. Silent as can be too!!!

I threw some new old stock 8spd chain on an old 8sp drivetrain on my commuter the other day. It sounded like hell!!! Kinda like you described. I ended up replacing the cassette, and checking the wear on the chainrings. Everything is quiet now, and shifting is so smooth!!!

Sounds like you have a project now. Anyway, good luck.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Derailleur is adjusted perfectly on both bikes. As I mentioned, when I swap back to old chain on either bike, it goes back to being perfect/quiet. I'm either gonna try to hunt down some old pc59/69 chains or I'm gonna switch to 8sp. I'll get new rings too.. won't hurt.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    FYI: Just found specs for old chains vs new chains. pc 59/69 was 6.9mm wide. New stuff (951 and up) is 6.4mm wide.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Erci
    FYI: Just found specs for old chains vs new chains. pc 59/69 was 6.9mm wide. New stuff (951 and up) is 6.4mm wide.

get a wipperman chain

just along for the ride
    Get a kmc chain just as good as shimano and way better than SRAM at a much lower cost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I just threw a new 971 chain, brand new XT cassette and front ring on the gearie. It does sound like crap when it shifts compared to the old PC69/XT cassette combo. I hope it wears in a little and smooths out.
    I may have to look at a wipperman.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti
    I just threw a new 971 chain, brand new XT cassette and front ring on the gearie. It does sound like crap when it shifts compared to the old PC69/XT cassette combo. I hope it wears in a little and smooths out.
    I may have to look at a wipperman.
    I heard Shimnano Has a problem with some xt rings, wouldnt hurt to have your lbs ask

MTB B'dos
    Don't know how long you haven't looked at or used a Shimano chain for, but I just checked back my old chains -HG53/73 - from 2+ years ago and they all have the bulge. PC59 from same era does not.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Don't know how long you haven't looked at or used a Shimano chain for, but I just checked back my old chains -HG53/73 - from 2+ years ago and they all have the bulge. PC59 from same era does not.
    Your are correct, sir (or ma'am)! I bought a HG73 hoping it would work.. no go! Same horrible feel and noise! I am now searching high and low for pc59/69. If I can't find any, I'll try wipperman (stupid-expensive as it might be). If that doesn't work out.. I'll take up trail running, I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    I heard Shimnano Has a problem with some xt rings, wouldnt hurt to have your lbs ask
    I have LX cassette. It sounds awful with the old one. Sounds/feels just as bad with a brand new LX cassette.

If that doesn't work out.. I'll take up trail running, I guess.
    Trail running is great ... and you don't eat as much dirt when ya fall

mtbr member
    Chainrings are far from new, but do not show *bad* wear. The 2nd 9sp bike I tried this new chain on didn't really need a replacement yet.. the old pc-69 on it is not stretched out at all and it's silent with that chain on. With new chain, it's terrible.. that's the part that makes me think it's the new chain design that's causing this.
    What chain are you running on your AM bike? Is it one of the newer ones with bulging plates?
    I think it's your chainrings (i.e., new chain on old chainrings). The bulge in the sideplates, in my opinion has nothing to do with noise.

bang
    actually, the newer style of sram chains do run noisier compared to the older style chains (i went from a pc-59 to a pc-991). they do seem to shift easier though.

if you want the older style sram chains, here you go.