Thread: Wtf!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Wtf!!!

I have had my Stumpjumper for a couple of months already and am always having chain problems. The first chain I had broke twice which they fixed and then finally gave me a new one. Now my second chain has broken twice also, Is the SRAM PC-951 w /Power Link a piece of crap? Is there a better cahin out there?

Thanks

...idios...
    "Is there a better chain out there?"

There are many better quality chains. The Shimano XTR/DuraAce is generally considered the benchmark for performance and durability, although I also use the KMC X9.93. You can still use the SRAM Powerlink with either of them.
    Chain wear can also be controlled to an extent with correct maintenance and a lube that is appropriate to the conditions and environment that you're riding in.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have gotta say that the chain is a fine chain, if it is shifting properly before it breaks that would mean that the drivetrain is set up well. Also no mention of chainsuck.

This means the driver is more than likely the problem.

Do not shift under load, treat it easy.

mtbr member
    I just had the same problem as well, my chain broke twice today. Finally I lost one of my link and had to remove another one to be able to fix the cahin. Is this going to be a problem, should I get a new chain or can I use the shortened chain?
    Ballzonya!

...idios...
    A chain which is too short is likely to cause shifting problems. Worst case scenario is a damaged rear derailleur.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    yeah probably just get a new one
    Ballzonya!

banned
    Sep 2005
    To hell with shimano or SRAM. Wipperman is where it's at.

mtbr member
    The SRAM chain is fine. When you are breaking a chain that frequently it is usually the result of poor shifting technique. Try to anticipate your shifts to avoid over stressing the chain by shifting under load. Trust me, I used to be a pretty severe chain mangler in my day.

mtbr member
    I had a SRAM 971 that I used for 750+ miles. No problems with the chain and I took out 3 links for a 1x9 drivetrain. The chain started creaking badly so I replaced it with a x9.93. My first ride on the new chain will be later today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    FS bike? Your chain may well be too short and is breaking when the suspension elongates