mtbr member
    Nov 2004

WTB dual duty freehub

Does anyone know where I can get a repair manual or exploded diagram of a WTB dual duty rear hub? Freehub blew up on the trail today, and I'm not sure if I can use Shimano pawls, or if I have to try and get something out of WTB on warranty. Any help would be much appreciated.

BL
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

What's a dual duty hub? What two things does it do?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

nnn
    mtbr member
    Exploded diagrams of rear hubs are rare and I've never seen one of a freehub, but then again I've never had to find one so there might be some.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    What's a dual duty hub? What two things does it do?
    It's a wheelset from WTB. Basically disc compatable hub with a rim that has a brake track on it. You can run V-Brakes, or discs.

BL
    MCM #269

Pick 2."

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

That freehub...

is WTB specific. You cannot use any other manu's parts, if fact, it does not have pawls at all: it has a cam plate/wire lift engagement mechanism...you will have to contact WTB (or American Classic)

Oh, it's a disc hub from a dual duty wheel...that makes more sense. This is what AmericanClassic had in the way of service instructions... http://www.amclassic.com/tech/Hub_Overhaul.html
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member

Been there - contact WTB...

Been there. The Speed Disc freehub on my Dual Duty wheel siezed after less than 50 miles!!!

Contact WTB - their customer service is not exactly responsive, so be firm and they'll probably send you a new one unless it's an old hub.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    They weren't responding to emails via their web form. When I called them I got through to someone in warranty who told me they would send out a new freehub, spring, and seal later that day. Apparently they know about the issue with the gold/bronze coloured freehubs, and are taking care of us. So far so good, it's been a couple days, but I don't expect it to get across the border until later this week. I'll post back once the parts arrive and are installed.

BL

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    Been there. The Speed Disc freehub on my Dual Duty wheel siezed after less than 50 miles!!!

Contact WTB - their customer service is not exactly responsive, so be firm and they'll probably send you a new one unless it's an old hub.

Good luck!
    MCM #269

Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

All Fixed!

After speaking with the warranty department, they quickly sent out a new freehub body, along with the revised design cam plate, and a new rubber seal to go with the new body. I failed to remove the steel washer that sat underneath the old cam plate, and this resulted in a second failure. Lucky for me, WTB was understanding enough, and sent out a second freehub body. The new cam plate does not require this washer, so I removed it when putting the hub back together again. Everything seems fine now, and a big thanks goes out to WTB for getting my bike back on the trails again.

For others reading this post that have these hubs, some additional information.

If your freehub is gold/brown in colour, this is the older style which my hubs originally came with. It uses a flat cam plate, and requires the thick washer between the hub and the cam plate (it surrounds the drive side hub bearing).

If your freehub is greenish in colour, the washer mentioned above is not required. The assembly order would be hub shell, drive side hub bearing, cam plate (with serrated type holes), bearing spacer washer, freehub (with bearings).

note: the rubber seal for the brownish freehubs is not compatable with the green freehubs due to the freehub flange. When installing the greenish freehub, adjust bearing tension prior to installation of the seal, then work both seal edges into the grooves in the hub/freehub.

I hope this helps anyone who might have a similar problem with their hub.

BL
    MCM #269

Pick 2."