mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Would an FSA 40T DH ring work on an XTR crankset?

I am wondering how well a 3mm FSA "downhill" chainring would work in the middle position as a big ring on an XTR crankset? It is one of the only 104 BCD 40T chainrings I can find and it would be paired with a regular 29t small ring. Would the thickness be a problem?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If you just want a quality non pinned/ramped 40tooth ring, there are a few out there. 40 is now about as big as DH companies make rings any more as most riders (even WC guys) run 34 or 36...but several 'DH' companies make nice high quality light 'single speed rings'. I run e-13 rings, gamut makes them as well, as does blackspire. Salsa also has a full size run of simple black aluminum single speed rings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Well, that's the thing. I don't really want a DH ring. I'm using it for xc, but I can't really find any pinned/ramped normal 40T 104bcd rings. TA makes a nice ring, but it will cost a fortune to have it shipped from europe. I don't know why they aren't readily available in the states or why other companies aren't making them too much. If you know of a normal ring even if non ramped/pinned, let me know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    They are not made in MTB BCDs because they don't work for the type of riding that has historically considered MTB here in the states. To actually spin out a 40 X 11 you need to be on pretty smooth and flat terrain. There is much more acceptance of off road touring or long Mega type racing in europe....that does not exist here. MTB here has typically leaned more toward slower and more technical terrian.

I do also think that the kind of gear spread you are trying to find, is MUCH more popular on the internet than on the trails. It has become the new cool thing on forums (good or bad), but it is certainly far from mainstream, and thus the parts are simply not as available as mainstream items.

Maybe as more people realize how many redundant gears are in a typical 3 X 9 drivetrain, and the increase of 2 X 10 drivetrains, we will see better availability of front rings. It would be very nice to be able to simply choose two well speced rings that work for your riding and terrain....24,36....24,38....28,40......these type of two ring set-ups cover 95% of a typical 3 ring crank, with far fewer repeats......

I will say however, that I have not run a ramped/pinned ring on my multi-ring bike for years. I essentially use the smaller ring as a low range, and shift to the larger ring for the high range (although I run 24, 38 due to the type of climbs and terrian we have). Works fine as long as you dont try to make a last second up shift under load.
    Last edited by davep; 02-05-2010 at 12:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Good points. I agree that given time, we'll see these rings more readily available. I have been running a 29/42 setup for the past 3 or 4 years and have been pretty happy with it, much more so than a triple setup. Although the 42 isn't bad, I think the 40T would be a little more versatile.