Meeeeeeeep

Worth Upgrading from Deore Hollowtech II crank?

So about a year ago I bought a Shimano Deore FC-M590 crank and used it for a 3x9 then a 3x10 and now finally a 1x10. It's starting to look a little worn with some bad heel rub so I am removing the black paint and polishing it. While I am looking at it, I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to an SLX or XT or some other crank?

It uses the same bottom bracket and spindle interface, it's about 850g with a single race face chain ring, and doesn't look too bad when its polished.

The only differences I can see between this crank and a SLX or XT crank is the arms are hollow on the inside on the higher end cranks while mine are hollowed out on the back.

I ride a lot of up hill techy stuff and I tend to pedal at a pretty slow cadence, I am not much of a spinner. Would I be able to notice any difference in the way the cranks feel? Provided its not just the placebo of having new cranks...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd say no but depends what you consider worth it. However I just put 180mm cranks on one of my 1X9 bikes and think it's great.

usually cranky
    i think high end cranks are a pretty bad upgrade. with xt or whatever you gain some stffness and a little weight loss that you may or may not notice.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Naw, refinish it yourself. It's not too hard; sandpaper, ceramic engine enamel, clear coat, bake under heat lamp for 4hrs....now, you have a nearly-new crankset, for a fraction of NEW.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Meeeeeeeep
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Naw, refinish it yourself. It's not too hard; sandpaper, ceramic engine enamel, clear coat, bake under heat lamp for 4hrs....now, you have a nearly-new crankset, for a fraction of NEW.
    I actually ended up doing that. I took to it with a wire brush and some sand paper, it's all nice and polished now and looks amazing! I've been looking at the specs of the high end parts and I just can't justify spending $200 for something I probably wont even notice while riding.

Worth Upgrading from Deore Hollowtech II crank?-2013-07-20-14.52.41.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looks Good! Unless it breaks, leave it be!

mtbr member
    Nice job Dooms. Can't beat the price for this option! You'll want to hit it with some clear-coat, otherwise the aluminum will oxidize - that is, turn blotchy white and ugly! Since you've already reassembled, it won't hurt to wait until you next pull it apart, but if you wait more than a month or two, the surface will start to corrode and you'll have to wire brush it again.