mtbr member

Worth it to upgrade cassette?

I picked up an 07 Giant Trance 2 this march and have been fine with the bike, it rides really well. The bike is completely stock at this point. I was looking around on pricepoint.com and noticed they had 07 Sram PG-990 cassettes for $70. My Trance has an 07 Sram PG-950, if I bought a PG-990 would there be any difference comparing to my current cassette? I know my cassette is one of the lowest model ones Sram have and the PG-990 is the best, but would it really be that different? I'm fine with what i've got right now, but it seems the customizing bug got me, and plus it would be nice to leave my mark on it.
    2007 Giant Trance 2

mtbr member
    IMO it's never worth it to replace a cassette with life left in it. upgrade things like that when they wear out. You won't notice any difference (unless of course you are looking for differences to notice...), it's just weight.

When it comes time, I'd go with XT over sram, but everyone has their preferences.

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    IMO it's never worth it to replace a cassette with life left in it. upgrade things like that when they wear out. You won't notice any difference (unless of course you are looking for differences to notice...), it's just weight.
    Word.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm with Joules on this one; don't replace your cassette until it's worn out. That said, it doesn't hurt to purchase a new cassette now, particularly if you've found one at a good price. Just wait for the old one to wear out before installing...

FWIW, the SRAM cassettes that I've tried do not seem to last as long as the XT cassettes that I've used.

I should be studying...
    I agree with the others; wear out that casette you have and then upgrade, provided that the gears are the same it is highly unlikely that you will notice a difference in performance. That being said...Sram makes great chains and shifting components, however there casettes are still not up to par, especially when considering the price, weight, performance, and durability of an XT cassette-it's almost impossible to beat.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mbtr member
    i gotta disagree with these guys. Cassettes with the aluminum carriers work MUCH better than the ones that are long steel deals. At 6'2 230lbs i always thought that having the derailleur misshift under power when ever so slightly out of tune was just part of the game until i got a pg990. The alum carrier is much more rigid and so your torque doesnt bend the gears as much, or something. I've run xt and a 980 as well at this point and would never go back.

I'd rather run a alivio derailleur than a cassette w/o the alu carrier.

that said, cassettes are a wear item, replace it when it doesnt work right. 980 and 990 are really the same thing, save the lock ring.

AKA Dr.Nob
    The cassette and chain is the most common place the bike companies save money when speccing up a frame.

But if you are having no problems with the gears leave it until you need to replace them.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver
    I picked up an 07 Giant Trance 2 this march and have been fine with the bike, it rides really well. The bike is completely stock at this point. I was looking around on pricepoint.com and noticed they had 07 Sram PG-990 cassettes for $70. My Trance has an 07 Sram PG-950, if I bought a PG-990 would there be any difference comparing to my current cassette? I know my cassette is one of the lowest model ones Sram have and the PG-990 is the best, but would it really be that different? I'm fine with what i've got right now, but it seems the customizing bug got me, and plus it would be nice to leave my mark on it.
    I'm with the others, change it when it wears out, and it will wear out. In the meantime, that $70 can go towards replacing whatever you break/wear out next. If you really do want to upgrade something, there are better places to spend $70, like the tires (depending on what's on there now).

I should be studying...
    I thought the 980 had an alunimum spider for the two largest cogs and the rest independent. I haven't used the new sram cassettes. I've always had awesome luck with XT cassettes--besides they are usaully cheaper and lighter than the SRAM 990.
    Formerly known as iceaxe