KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Worn out shifters?

My rapid rise rear XT derailleur is about 3 months old, cables are about the same. Problem is, it shifts up and down really slow. Often I have to shift twice or more to get the (new) chain to shift one cog. The shifters are the original shifters that came on my Reign2. They are LX shifters. Bike is going on 3 yrs old. Do shifters wear out like that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    First of all, check your cables and housings. Stuffed or damaged housing may be causing the problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My first guess would be cable drag as well. As cables start to wear out, friction increases and starts to effect shifting. It really doesn't take much friction in the cable to have a fairly dramatic effect on shifting performance.

I prefer to grease the inner cable with Jonnisnot grease, which makes them last a lot longer before drag becomes a problem. I've recently been using teflon coated inner cables as well, which works really well for a while, but the teflon wears off the curved sections in a few months. After this, they work basically like regular non-coated cables, which can of course be re-greased.

Larry

KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks.

I have a spare cable, I'll switch it out today.

Chrome Toaster
    Shifters actually last a really long time before they wear out. They so however get the internal workings clogged up with dirt and the lube dries out as you wash your bike. In addition to checking the cables you should also take the shifters bottom cover off and flush them with oil. That will usually be all it takes to restore an old set of shifters to work like they did when new.