Gunga galunga

Wipperman 9x1 (Stiff Link Hell)

I got a Wipperman 9x1 chain as a gift and it went on my 575 build this summer. The shifting quality has really gone south lately, with a lot of skipping and ghost shifting. On today's ride my buddy and I went in for a closer look...and found one stiff link after another!! Seriously, it was as if every other link was bound up. WTF?

Later while trying to loosen some links, I must have applied too much force and an outer plate popped off a link head. I got it back on, then -snap- broke another one. This one I couldn't repair properly because the plate is now bent away at an angle and will not stay attached to the pin.

Is it worth my time torquing all these stiff links, being afraid to break it again, or should I just punt and look for another chain? I've always used SRAM chains and they've held up well.

mud slinger

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

been on sram chains for a while,scored a wipperman 909 chain the other day,i like it,works really well,with your chain tho man,IMO i would get another one,i h8 the lingering thought of running a bodgy chain while im putting full load on the cranks!
    [SIZE="2"]"do the things you fear and the death of fear is certain"[/SIZE]

Cheezy Rider
    I've been running a Wipperman for over a year with no problems. Sounds like you got a lemon, I don't see how anything you're doing could cause all those stiff links. You do clean and lube occasionally?

Gunga galunga
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    I've been running a Wipperman for over a year with no problems. Sounds like you got a lemon, I don't see how anything you're doing could cause all those stiff links. You do clean and lube occasionally?
    Yep, I lube it every couple of rides, and clean 1x a month or so, depending on slop accumulation. I did notice in the product reviews that Wippermans get very mixed reviews - either strong love or strong hate. Good thing I didn't pay a penny for it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I too had this problem. I send a nice message to bike@wippermann.com and they responded that they wanted the chain back and would send me a new one. So far the new one is fine, but I am going top keep it lubed going forward.

David

Quack Attack
    I currently have Sram 991 Hollowpoints on both bikes and have had great success. No breaks, no frozen links, just flawless performance.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

Gunga galunga
    A SRAM 991 chain is on the way, non-hollow version. Are they as durable as their solid brethren?

Perhaps I'll send Wipperman an email for a replacement, but I don't think I'll ever drop that kind of coin on one.

Thanks for all your input.