mtbr member

Will a XTR M970 FD work with a XX front shifter?

Hello,

Does anyone know if a SRAM XX front shifter will work with a M970 front derailleur?

Thanks!

T.W.O.
    It would work but what crankset are you running XX? if that's the case the spacing would be an issue.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

This would be an XX crank.

What issues around spacing are you referring to?

T.W.O.
    Shifting between the big ring to small ring. XX is already space perfectly between the 2 rings everytime you shift. Why not XX Front Der they are the best I've tried.

mtbr member
    the frame came with a direct mount XTR FD, and I had the rest of the XX components besides a direct mount XX FD. I was trying to see if I could avoid needing a new FD

T.W.O.
    Ahh! gotcha. It should work just fine. Shimano direct mount is nice.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    As above, it'll work just fine, Shimano & SRAM use the same cable pull on front deraileurs

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by robdeanhove View Post
    As above, it'll work just fine, Shimano & SRAM use the same cable pull on front deraileurs
    Now here is a question I've been wondering about.....most people are quite aware that in the pre-10sp days with 3 chainrings that shimano/SRAM had compatible FD's.

How about now though, and the case of mixing 10sp shifters (has the pull changed now its only between 2 cogs?) and a 9sp FD designed to shift between 3 cogs with a slightly larger spacing between chainrings compared with 10sp compatible cranksets, then add in the fact that its actually shifting between chainring 1.5 and 2.5 compared with the positions of the 3 rings (does the shift from 1-2 use the same cable pull as 2-3??)

Any smart or experienced people out there with how it works/doesn't??
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

bi-winning
    The shifters pull the same amount of cable, but you should use a FD designed for a 10 speed double.

Check the Dynasys compatibility sticky. Lots of info there. It covers more than just Shimano.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you're using an XX shifters, I assume that you must be running a 2x10 setup.

Few things to take note, M970 is a 9-speed component, the M970 is design to work with a triple chainring crankset I believe you will have a big gap between your largest chainring and the FD cage because you can't position it any lower as it will touch your chainstay(assuming you are using an outer 38T chainring). Shifting won't be as crisp when compared to using a dedicated 2x 10speed FD.

I haven't mounted any direct mount FD yet but I believe this still applies, Does it? Do let me know if you've fitted it on.

AND the M970 FD cage is a little wider than the 10 speed ones(to accomodate a wider 9speed chain). You may need to set the top limiter screw higher or slacken the FD cable a lil.

I'm not saying that you can't use the combo you mentioned, it's just that you won't be able to achieve optimal performance.

To answer Alex Randall's question, I read somewhere that a 3x shifter actually pulls the cable abt 11mm between chainring 1 to 2 and about 7mm from 2 to 3. I've experimented running a double chainring on my crankset without using a bashring. You will have a big gap on the outer 2nd ring if you set your shifter to shift 1 to 2 and lock out 3. I then set it to shift from 2 to 3 and problem solved except for the cable slack if you accidently shift down to gear 1. That's what Shimano did with their new M78x and M98x front shifters, you can actually lock out gear 1 and set it as a double ring shifter.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So, if I am using the new M780 shifter as a double ring shifter, and using a triple crank with the big ring replaced with a bashguard, should I use the double or the triple front derailleur?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    So, if I am using the new M780 shifter as a double ring shifter, and using a triple crank with the big ring replaced with a bashguard, should I use the double or the triple front derailleur?
    Limiting triple to a double on both shifter and front der to be used on a converted triple would be ok.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Limiting triple to a double on both shifter and front der to be used on a converted triple would be ok.
    Yes, I know either would work, but they make a double-specific front der. If I were buying a new front der, which one should I choose?

I'm thinking that if the spacing between the chainrings is the same on the double and triple, then the double front der might work best. But if the chainring spacing is different, then the triple front der would probably shift best and be easiest to adjust.

T.W.O.
    Yes, I know either would work, but they make a double-specific front der. If I were buying a new front der, which one should I choose?

I'm thinking that if the spacing between the chainrings is the same on the double and triple, then the double front der might work best. But if the chainring spacing is different, then the triple front der would probably shift best and be easiest to adjust.
    OK, SLX make the Double and they are nice. If you are only going to stay with Double then why not. They are better but limited for future use if you decide to go back to triple.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You did not mention right shifter and drivetrain. I assume it's M780 as well and it's 10-speed.

Well, Shimano's website states that the M785/M786 double FD are designed for top gear teeth 44-38T. I don't think you will have any problem using it with your 1-2-Bash config. It's lower profile/shorter cage, so you can mount it lower and have a smaller gap between cage and bash. It's FD max capacity stated is 14T, so it's designed to work best shifting between 2 chainrings only.

The SLX compact FD M665/M667 mentioned by Mimi are made for 9-speed drivetrain. I'm not sure if Shimano's made the double FD for the new SLX, or if the new SLX shifter has a feature which you can convert it between 2x and 3x. Anybody?

(Updated) After a search on the web, looks like the updated SLX is only limited to it's brakeset. A new addition to it's existing SLX M660-10 Dynasys 3x10 grouppo.
    Last edited by jasonwfreak; 07-28-2011 at 04:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwfreak View Post
    You did not mention right shifter and drivetrain. I assume it's M780 as well and it's 10-speed.

Well, Shimano's website states that the M785/M786 double FD are designed for top gear teeth 44-38T. I don't think you will have any problem using it with your 1-2-Bash config. It's lower profile/shorter cage, so you can mount it lower and have a smaller gap between cage and bash. It's FD max capacity stated is 14T, so it's designed to work best shifting between 2 chainrings only.

The SLX compact FD M665/M667 mentioned by Mimi are made for 9-speed drivetrain. I'm not sure if Shimano's made the double FD for the new SLX, or if the new SLX shifter has a feature which you can convert it between 2x and 3x. Anybody?
    Yes, I'm talking about M780 shifters, derailleurs, and cranks.

My main concern is chainring spacing. If the double cranks have a different chainring spacing than the triple, and the double front der is designed for the double chainring spacing, then it might not shift as well, or be harder to get adjusted, if you use it with the triple crankset 1-2-bash.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yes, I'm talking about M780 shifters, derailleurs, and cranks.

My main concern is chainring spacing. If the double cranks have a different chainring spacing than the triple, and the double front der is designed for the double chainring spacing, then it might not shift as well, or be harder to get adjusted, if you use it with the triple crankset 1-2-bash.
    As mentioned, max chainring capacity the double FD is 14T. So if you're on 24-32-Bash, that's only 8T. It won't be an issue. The issue is whether to set your shifter to shift 1-2 and limit 3 or set it at 2x. I haven't try it yet but I don't think you will have any problem with the 2x config and a double FD. Give it a try and we'll find out.