Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Will this work??.....

490 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Shayne 
#1 ·
cyclocross set up: 9 speed double compact crank, 8 speed cassette 11-26, 8 spd chain, LX triple front der. Any problems with this? Will the LX front der. work with a double crank? Will the 9 speed chainrings do ok with the 8 speed chain?

#3 ·
RetroG said:
cyclocross set up: 9 speed double compact crank, 8 speed cassette 11-26, 8 spd chain, LX triple front der. Any problems with this? Will the LX front der. work with a double crank? Will the 9 speed chainrings do ok with the 8 speed chain?
should work fine... using barcons or brifters?
I'm not sure about using the LX FD w/ brifters, but I'm using ultegra brifters + an old suntour mtn FD w/ no problems on a compact double (std mtn 110BCD crank). I have added inline cable adjusters to make life easier.
I recall hearing something about the throw on road vs mtn shifter being a bit different for the front der, but I'm not positive.

ya can ask over in the 'cross forum at rbr.

#4 ·
No Probs Here

I've run similar setups with STI and Ergo levers with no issues. "MTB" f derailleur worked like a champ with "road" shifters.

I will add however that Ergos are semi-indexed and I was also using semi-indexed DA STI levers. The current indexed STI levers may not work as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.