mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Will Truvativ Husslefelt crank work with Truvative Power Spline Bottom Bracket?

Will the Truvativ Husslefelt crank work with Truvative Power Spline Bottom Bracket?

because I already have the Truvativ Power Spline and wanted to upgrade to a crank with a bash guard, now I have it in my hands, and I read the directions, they mentioned only using this crank with the top model BB, the Howizer BB, but I'm just curious to say this might not be truely necessary...

anyone know if it is?

also, how do I find the size BB I need if I need the howizer? my Giant specs don't tell what size the BB is.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If the crank uses....

the Howitzer interface it is necessary to use a bottom bracket designed for the Howitzer crank. Regular ISIS spined bbs are not compatable with Howitzer cranks.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Member02
    Will the Truvativ Husslefelt crank work with Truvative Power Spline Bottom Bracket?

because I already have the Truvativ Power Spline and wanted to upgrade to a crank with a bash guard, now I have it in my hands, and I read the directions, they mentioned only using this crank with the top model BB, the Howizer BB, but I'm just curious to say this might not be truely necessary...

anyone know if it is?

also, how do I find the size BB I need if I need the howizer? my Giant specs don't tell what size the BB is.

Thanks!
    No, The Powerspline BB is a POS proprietary system that's not compatible with any of the higher-end Truvativ stuff like the Hussefelt, let alone anybody else's.

If you want a bashguard, just replace your big ring with a bashguard, that's what I did on my ISOFlow crank (which is the most common Power Spline crank). The cranks take standard 104bcd 4-bolt chainrings & bashrings. It's a bolt on mod.

OTTer
    cant be done im afraid - IIRC powerspline is only compatable with one or two truvativ chainsets - it has its own unique interface - seperate to ISIS etc.

If you have a crankset that does fit the powerspline, i think you could easily add a bashguard onto that, either simply replacing the big ring or bolting it on with the big ring (this will require extra long bolts & possibly a special type of bashguard)

OTTer
    Quote Originally Posted by Member02

Thanks!
    You dont want to take Giants word for it - measure it yourself. MTB BB shells are supposed to be 68, 73 or 83mm wide AFAIK. However i have a giant (2006 trance), and it is 67mm. This causes complications when fitting BBs - especially if you want to go the external route (eg. Howitzers).

Does anyone know whether its really necessary to face/chase the shell when fitting a howitzer? I know this is recommended, but from looking at pics of the howitzer its completely different to the other external setups ive seen - using cartridge-style splines, instead of a removable spindle - so i wondered whether thread/face alignment isnt anywhere near as critical as with the other designs, and could just be skipped?
    Last edited by psych; 06-12-2008 at 07:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i'm not sure either on that, but we are going to find out if my howitzer that I'm holding in my hands fit's my giant in a little bit at the shop around the corner from me.