mtbr member

Will Truvativ GXP BB (stepped) work with XT cranks?

Have some 07 XT external BB cranks where the BB has seized. Have a Truvativ Firex GXP external BB. The BB spindle on the cranks of the truvativ seems to have a 'step' on it, therefore will the Shimano cranks fit with this BB or not?

mtbr member
    No, Truvativ use there own BB size and fit - its not compatible with any other crank other than Truvativ. Which is a shame becuase if they made the sealing better its a fantastic idea.

How have you siezed 2007 BB cups into your frame? Surely they have only been in a year - did you grease them prior to install? Are you sure there siezed - torque setting is about 40N.M which is pritty tight....

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Tiffster is correct....

the Truvativ system is not compatable at all with the Shimano. The only other crank set that I am aware of that is compatable with the GXP is Bontrager stuff. And that's only because Truvativ makes the components for Trek/Fisher.

If the bearings have actaully seized in the Shimano BB there is a solution that is realatively inexpensive. Contrary to what Shimano, Truvative, and Race Face may say, the cups are rebuildable! You can order bearings or complete cup sets from Enduro and install them. A complete set of cups with cromo steel bearings will run you $58.00 and is a simple hassel free install as you simply replace your old cups and bearings with the new. The steel bearings only will run you $14.72. Or if you are into more bling Enduro does produce their "Hybrid Ceramic" bearings, but at a significantly higher price. Here's the link http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id180.html The only draw back to the bearings only route is that you have to have the right tools to press out the old bearings and press in the new. The bearings are realatively inexpensive, but the tool is about $110. Not something that the weekend mechanic would likely be willing to drop the cash on. But it is a VERY high qaulity tool, makes changing you the bearings a snap, and you assured of a no damage install as well.

I would recommend going this route as the Enduro bearings use a better sealing system, and better bearings.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"