Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Will SRAM's limit screws work with a 1x6?

936 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  perttime 
#1 ·
I have a Hadley singlespeed rear hub and I have plans to put a 5-speed or 6-speed cassette on there. I prefer SRAM over Shimano so I would like to use SRAM's short cage X-9 rear derailer. But...

...I have heard that SRAM's limit screw setup does not have enough range for a 5-speed or 6-speed, and that if I want to do this I'm stuck with Shimano.

Is this true?

Thanks.

#2 ·
you can limit to some extent with your cable. have set screw limit on small cog and shift to your highest gear on other. consequence of overshifting is high so be careful.

#3 ·
crawdad said:
I have a Hadley singlespeed rear hub and I have plans to put a 5-speed or 6-speed cassette on there. I prefer SRAM over Shimano so I would like to use SRAM's short cage X-9 rear derailer. But...

...I have heard that SRAM's limit screw setup does not have enough range for a 5-speed or 6-speed, and that if I want to do this I'm stuck with Shimano.

Is this true?

Thanks.
I was to able to get a SRAM derailleur to work with my wide spaced 1x5 (about the same width as a 9-speed minus 3 cogs). Even tried a longer limit screw.

#4 ·
The SRAM B-tension screw has the same diameter and thread as the limit screw, so you can swap one out for the other and use the longer B screw to achieve more limit range. That said, if you really put the limit screw in super far, it ends up getting hung up on other der parts than the stub it is meant to rest on. I have run a 1x6, but I also spaced the der outwards a little using some washers. It works but may require a bit of fiddling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.