mtbr member

Will the RD-M772 work with SL-M760 shifters?

I have a specific question, I have done some research and searched the forums, but can not find any information to answer my question completely.

I have a bike with Shimano XT SL-M760 shifters. The shift lever operate in either direction. The current rear derailleur is a Shimano XT RD-M762 arrived damaged. This model rear derailleur requires a big loop of cable at the end to work properly.

The bike shop sent me a replacement rear derailleur but it is a different Shimano XT shifter model RD-M772. This model rear derailleur does not require a big loop of cable at the end (the cable feeds directly into the derailleur). The PDF instructions recommend the model SL-M770 shifters (see the table). I also read an article at Competivie Cyclists about the RD-M772, and they specify "While it is designed to work with the XT Rapidfire Plus, but will work with Rapidfire, SRAM 2:1 shifters".

I don't want to break the chain (again, was told there was a limit on how many links you can use on a Shimano chain) and find out the new rear derailleur does not work with the existing shifters. Will the RD-M772 work with SL-M760 shifters?

Many thanks for replies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah, the shifter and derailleur are compatible. If you're just replacing the rear derailleur, you won't need to break the chain... just remove a derailleur pulley using a 3mm hex key, and then remove the chain from the old one, and install the chain into the new one.

~Disc~Golf~
    I don't see a problem with compatibility. The only thing I'd possibly be concerned about it what size cage you got and what gears you're running. If you got a med-cage and you have large (tooth-wise) rings and cogs, you could be in trouble.

"The difference is that the mid cage size has a 33 tooth total capacity while the long cage takes 45 tooth total."

IIRC, to determine your total teeth, you subtract the smallest ring from the largest and subtract the smallest cog from the largest - then combine the results for your tooth total.
    Example: 42-26=16...and...34-11=23 ------16+23=39 --- 39 tooth capacity = long cage or 'SGS'

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong It's been a while.
    Last edited by highdelll; 04-07-2009 at 10:28 PM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. I have a long cage on the bike now, and a long cage replacement. Furthermore the PDF manual has a table of what model can handle how many teeth.

I was just worried about the more modern RD-M772 being different because the cable attaches directly, it might not have the same pull rate. I took a bicycle maintenance class where they told us the difference between SRAM and Shimano cable pull rate. When I read the Competitive Cyclist article saying the RD-M772 was compatible with the SRAM shifter I was worried this particular model was a different cable pull. Since the PDF manual didn't list the older derailleur I thought there was another chance of incompatibility.

Also thanks for the tip on not breaking the chain, I didn't think to take the derailleur apart like that.

mtbr member
    Bruzer -

You will be fine with the RD-M772 and SL-M760 combo. With regard to the SRAM cable pull, any X-series shifter (X-7, X-9, X.0, etc.) uses a 1:1 cable pull ratio. Most any SRAM MTB shifter with a name (like Rocket for example) uses a 2:1 ratio which is compatible with Shimano. This is what the CC article was referring to. Good luck with the new set-up!

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ yep, I use SRAM twisties with XT mechs
    Honestly... ahh I give up