Newbee
    Jan 2006

Will I ever get it perfect?

I guess perfect may be a stretch, since as the old saying goes... 'Nothing's perfect.'

I have an '05 Stumpy FSR with the Deore LX front derailer. I can't seem to get it so that the chain is never dragging against the chain guide. No matter how I seem to adjust the screws, I cant seem to get it so that IN ANY GEAR the chain will not make contact. Is this normal or am I just chasing a dream?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niceguymr
    I guess perfect may be a stretch, since as the old saying goes... 'Nothing's perfect.'

I have an '05 Stumpy FSR with the Deore LX front derailer. I can't seem to get it so that the chain is never dragging against the chain guide. No matter how I seem to adjust the screws, I cant seem to get it so that IN ANY GEAR the chain will not make contact. Is this normal or am I just chasing a dream?
    When you say in any gear, do you mean the fron or rear? Is the chain dragging on the bottom, inside or out side edge of the derailleur? If it is on the bottom and in all gear combinations, your chain is too long and/or your B-tension screw is not set correctly and/or your rear derailleur cage is too short for your chainring/cassette combination.

If the chain is rubbing against the sides of the front derailleur then the screw you should be adjusting is the one at the shifter pod to adjust the cable tension.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

Duc

mtbr member
    Your chain should never rub on the front derailleur in any or the recommended useable gears when the rear suspension is sagged to normal riding position. Useable gears should include:

-granny ring and 5-6 largest cogs,
    -middle ring and all cogs, and
    -large ring and 5-6 smallest cogs.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

Newbee
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead
    Your chain should never rub on the front derailleur in any or the recommended useable gears when the rear suspension is sagged to normal riding position. Useable gears should include:

-granny ring and 5-6 largest cogs,
    -middle ring and all cogs, and
    -large ring and 5-6 smallest cogs.
    I was unaware of this notion of 'recommended useable gears'. That being the case, I think my setup is fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by niceguymr
    I was unaware of this notion of 'recommended useable gears'. That being the case, I think my setup is fine.
    The goal is to try and keep the chain as straight as possible from the crank to the cassette. This will reduce chain breakage and cassette/chain/chainring wear. If you want to be really diligent about drivetrain wear, you could consider only using:

-small ring and 4 largest cogs,
    -middle ring and 2 to 8 cogs, and
    -largest ring and 4 smallest cogs.

There will be different opinions on this.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

Chrome Toaster
    Some drag in the "unusable gears" is normal. Many long travel suspensions also rub at the bottom when unsaged. The derailleur has a range of angles at which the chain will not rub.